Cloudera Employee

Re: Not able to see Hive transformations in Cloudera Navigator

Hi Elena,

These are normal messages. Is it possible for you to upload the log somewhere (in cloude, Google drive, dropbox etc) from where we can download and take a look?

Vikas

New Contributor

Hi Vikas,

here are the complete logs. You can download them from the link below, it's a wetransfer.

http://we.tl/sgxbFb7920

Let me know if you find something.

Thank you, Elena

Cloudera Employee

Hi Elena,

So I looked at logs and the only instance of query that Navigator noticed was in may:

2015-05-29 15:00:02,309 INFO hive.ql.parse.ParseDriver: Parsing command: insert OVERWRITE TABLE test1 select c1 as alias from test

Apart from it there were no other instance in the logs. Also, I couldn't find an exection/error log that will show why its failing. Will it be possible for

you to send us the jobconf file for the MR job that is lauched when you run Hive query. You may have to look at JobHistory server to get the job

and hdfs path of the configuraiton file and then get it from hdfs.

Navigator reads this confguraiton file to get the Hive query and then parses it to create link to Hive tables.

Vikas

New Contributor

Hi Vikas, we looked in the JobHistory server log and we finally found the problem. It was an issue of permissions, the loading failed because the user did not have the permission to access the files that the cloudera navigator needed.

This is the error we found in the logs:

2015-09-03 19:01:45,022 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.HistoryFileManager: Error while trying to scan the directory hdfs://fisv-bdvm2.gft.com:8020/staging/history/done_intermediate/root
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=mapred, access=READ_EXECUTE, inode="/staging/history/done_intermediate/root":root:supergroup:drwxrwx---
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.checkFsPermission(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:257)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.check(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:238)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.checkPermission(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:151)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:138)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkPermission(FSNamesystem.java:6287)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkPermission(FSNamesystem.java:6269)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkPathAccess(FSNamesystem.java:6194)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getListingInt(FSNamesystem.java:4793)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getListing(FSNamesystem.java:4755)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.getListing(NameNodeRpcServer.java:801)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.AuthorizationProviderProxyClientProtocol.getListing(AuthorizationProviderProxyClientProtocol.java:310)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.getListing(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:606)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
 at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:587)
 at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:1026)
 at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2013)
 at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2009)
 at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
 at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
 at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1642)
 at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2007)

We granted permission to the user and now we can finally see the transformations in the navigator.

The only transformation we could see in the navigator before (the one in may) was actually executed by another user.

Thank you very much for your time and your help in finding the right log.

Elena

Highlighted
New Contributor

i have the same issue am using Cloudera Navigator 2.11.1 but i can't see my hive operation transformation with data lineage. So i search in the logs file it seems to be fine " Parsing command: insert into table salesdata partition (date_of_sale)select salesperson_id,product_id,date_of_sale from salesdata_source" source ParseDrive

and i don't have a probleme with permission.

* my exemple is creating a create table salesdata_source and making a partitioned table  salesdata  and insert into salesdata from  salesdata_source.

thank you

Announcements
New solutions