Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Flume - TwitterSource language filter

New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask your help in the following case.

A tried to collect Twitter data using Flume as it is described in the following porsts:
- http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/10/analyzing-twitter-data-with-hadoop-part-2-gathering-data-with-...
- https://github.com/cloudera/cdh-twitter-example

I'm currently using CDH 5.1.2 so I downloaded the source and rebuilt the flume-sources after updating the versions in pom.xml:

<flume.version>1.5.0-cdh5.1.2</flume.version>
<hadoop.version>2.3.0-cdh5.1.2</hadoop.version>

It worked perfectly.

After that I wanted to add a "language" filter, to capture only the tweets of a specific language. For this, I modified the TwitterSource.java to call the FilterQuery.language method somehow like this:

FilterQuery query = new FilterQuery();
if (languages.length != 0) {
query.language(languages);
}

I'm trying to use twitter4j-stream version 3.0.6. In pom.xml:

<!-- For the Twitter API -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.twitter4j</groupId>
<artifactId>twitter4j-stream</artifactId>
<version>3.0.6</version>
</dependency>

With these settings I rebuilt the jar (mvn package). 

When I start my agent, I get the following exception:

Unable to start EventDrivenSourceRunner: { source:com.cloudera.flume.source.TwitterSource{name:Twitter,state:IDLE} } - Exception follows.
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: twitter4j.FilterQuery.language([Ljava/lang/String;)Ltwitter4j/FilterQuery;
at com.cloudera.flume.source.TwitterSource.start(TwitterSource.java:165)
at org.apache.flume.source.EventDrivenSourceRunner.start(EventDrivenSourceRunner.java:44)
at org.apache.flume.lifecycle.LifecycleSupervisor$MonitorRunnable.run(LifecycleSupervisor.java:251)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:304)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I checked, and this version of twitter4j-stream contains the language method:
https://github.com/yusuke/twitter4j/blob/3.0.6/twitter4j-stream/src/main/java/twitter4j/FilterQuery....

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Finally I managed to solve this problem. So here's the solution to anyone out there facing the same issue.

First (in the above case in the original post) I placed my generated jar to /var/lib/flume-ng/plugins.d/twitter-streaming/lib/, and set it up in the Cloudera Manager config to use this location.

In this case the CM placed this directory to the end of the classpath in the runner file (after the parcel directory). So the directory order in the classpath looked like this:

• /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.1.2-1.cdh5.1.2.p0.3/lib/flume-ng/lib/*

• /var/lib/flume-ng/plugins.d/twitter-streaming/lib/*

Unfortunately there was a twitter4j-stream-3.0.3.jar and twitter4j-core-3.0.3.jar in the parcel directory, and flume tried to use that instead of 3.0.6, and in that version FilterQuery.language obviously doesn't exist.

So I just deleted those jars from the parcel directory, and it works fine now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

New Contributor

Finally I managed to solve this problem. So here's the solution to anyone out there facing the same issue.

First (in the above case in the original post) I placed my generated jar to /var/lib/flume-ng/plugins.d/twitter-streaming/lib/, and set it up in the Cloudera Manager config to use this location.

In this case the CM placed this directory to the end of the classpath in the runner file (after the parcel directory). So the directory order in the classpath looked like this:

• /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.1.2-1.cdh5.1.2.p0.3/lib/flume-ng/lib/*

• /var/lib/flume-ng/plugins.d/twitter-streaming/lib/*

Unfortunately there was a twitter4j-stream-3.0.3.jar and twitter4j-core-3.0.3.jar in the parcel directory, and flume tried to use that instead of 3.0.6, and in that version FilterQuery.language obviously doesn't exist.

So I just deleted those jars from the parcel directory, and it works fine now.

Guru

Thank you for closing the loop with us, Peter.