New Contributor

SQOOP - split-by key manual selection

All,

I am working on importing 1.2 billion rows from one of the db2 table, There is composite primary index in the table with at least 5 columns, hence I need to manually specify the --split-by column ( since SQOOP does not support multi-part split-by column), I tried to run the Sqoop import with one of the columns from the index which is numeric , and import ran for almost 8 hrs.

I am being suggested to try with different choice for split by key, but now I have question how to choose column for split by 

1) is it supposed to be numeric?  or varchar is fine too?

2) can it have nulls

3)  I suppose distribution of values for the column should be as even as possible, but will it matter how many maps I am choosing (--num-map ## )?

or any other criteria to pay attention to?

thanks 

Abhijeet 

Topics: 11
Kudos: 60
Solutions: 34

Re: SQOOP - split-by key manual selection

@Freakabhi

To answer to your first two questions, don't go by some random columns instead get primary key (obviously not null). so that the data will be distributed evenly

For the 3rd question, yes you can use either --num-map or -m to increase your mapper but don't give some random numbers instead understand how many mappers begin used currently and increase few more extra because if you use very high numbers it may distrub the source DB

Also you can consider other properties like --as-parquetfile (or) --as-avrodatafile ,etc this will help you to compress the data and it 'may' increase the performance 

Champion

Re: SQOOP - split-by key manual selection

1) is it supposed to be numeric? or varchar is fine too?

Sqoop recommends to use primary key . Choosing the varchar (String ) will be cumbersome. 

if you have a primary key in the table , sqoop will by default will choose that primary key coloumn as split-by 

2) can it have nulls

It should not have null. 

3) I suppose distribution of values for the column should be as even as possible, but will it matter how many maps I am choosing (--num-map ## )?

It does matter as to how many --num-map that you place in , based on that it will perform parallel job , 

be careful placing too many parallel connection might give a performance hit on the database side as it will create more connection instance . also have a check on this parameter  mapred.task.timeout  .

Lastly as pointed by @saranvisa choosing the file format does matter 

We use Avro which performs fast data serialisation and deserialization , works best when it comes to  ingestion

Announcements