New Contributor

Re: Oryx2 Kafka Broker Issue

[ Edited ]

Hi! Can you build parcel for Kafka 0.10.1.1 ? I have same problem, but i can`t switch client app to 0.10.0.0, i can only up broker side

Cloudera Employee

2.4.x should work, does it not? or do you need 0.10.1.1+ for compatibility with the 0.10.1.1 broker?

New Contributor

i have try to explain, we have kafka broker in cloudera installation, version 0.10.0.0, and some apps with kafka-client 0.10.1.1, when i try to connect i see error bootstrap disconnected. If i downgrade kafka-client in app to 0.10.0.x all fine, with connection, but in my situation, i can`t change all ready installed apps (with 0.10.1.1) but, if i understand, if i up version kafka broker in cloudera cluster to 0.10.1.1 all will working fine. I think all what i need it kafka parcel with version 0.10.1.x. Or i missing somethink?

Cloudera Employee

So from other sources, I see notes about the incompatibility. It sounds like the 0.10.2 release was fixed to be compatible across maintenance releases? so if the project used 0.10.2, I think that would work for you and all 0.10.x brokers?

Highlighted
New Contributor

It is working! Thnank you a lot, 0.10.2.X kafka-client well connect to 0.10.1.x and 0.10.0.x  brokers :)

Explorer

Hi srowen,

I've a general question about the ALS recommender. Let's say instead of a specific user rating, I'd like to recommend based on a usage count i.e. everytime a user interacted with an item, I submit a new ingestion: userID,itemID (with this type of input the "strength" is assigned a default value of 1).

I've seen that if I submit multiple requests like this for the same userID,itemID combo that /recommend/userID/?considerKnownItems=true will return itemID with a higher recommended score. 

Is this based on a cumulative "strength" i.e. multiple "ratings" of the same item adding up, or is it based on the fact that the item was "rated" more recently than other items? Or is it something else?

Alternatively, on ingestion, would it make sense to get the current "rating" of an item by a user and increment that by 1 before submitting it? 

Does my use case make sense or would it be suited to a different type of algorithm? 

Thanks

Cloudera Employee

(Please start a new thread)

Yes, all scores are cumluative and added across all input. I am not sure what your use case, but what you're suggesting is how it works: submitting (user, item, 1) adds 1 to the total strength of interaction.

Explorer

Announcements