Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Why the Apache Mahout is deprecated and what's the alternatives ?!

Master Collaborator

Hi all,

I have read in the Mahout Installation docs that it was deprecated since CDH 5.5 and it will be removed at CDH 6.0 as I see in the Deprecated items.
Any idea about the why? and the alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

Briefly: Because Apache Spark is a capable - and far more powerful - replacement.

--
Matt Brandwein
@mattbrandwein

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cloudera Employee

Briefly: Because Apache Spark is a capable - and far more powerful - replacement.

--
Matt Brandwein
@mattbrandwein

Master Collaborator

Thanks @Matt Brandwein.

From a computational force point of view, yes (knowing that Mahout also uses Spark),but what about the Mahout algorithms library? is Spark has some libriries too?

Master Collaborator
In fact, the answer is yes, I found that Spark has the MLlib Library for Machine Learning algorithms, and it seems great.

Expert Contributor

As you mentioned correctly Apache Spark is offering MlLib (or ML) which it comes with a set of features for some basic NLP, most popular algorithms for clustering and classifications, etc.

But that is not all! You can use many libraries which are released to complete Spark in a domain of Machine Learning and Deep Learning. Basically, these libraries are using Spark APIs and Engine.

You can have a look here (or other lists): https://github.com/awesome-spark/awesome-spark#machine-learning-extension