Explorer

CCA 131 : how does it work ?

Goodmorning, 

I recently took the CCAH course, but I unfortunately knew that the certification exam CCA-500 has been replaced by a new certification exam CCA-131. 

Is there anybody that tried to take the CCA-131 certification exam? 

Cloudera Employee

Re: CCA 131 : how does it work ?

Howdy,

Thanks for reaching out on this. I'll start by dropping a description of the test bellow. 

https://www.cloudera.com/more/training/certification/cca-admin.html

A lot of us are currently preparing to take this new exam, myself included. A lot of it's explained on the website, but here's a basic rundown.

The Test:

The format of the test has changed from multiple choice to being more hands on. In the new version of the test, you're given a pre configured cluster, and tasks to complete on it. Basically, you're proving that you know your way around a cluster and that you know how to troubleshoot in the new version of this test.

Preparation:

The cool thing about this new format is that preparing for it is more straightforward. Basically, everything you need to be prepared for the test is in the administrator on-demmand course. Also, this link. It seems like you may have already taken this course. If so, then you're golden.

Another way you can prepare for it is simply to spin up a cluster and mess around with it. Play with it, break it, fix it. Just make sure you know your way around.

I hope the info I've provided was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. I would also love to hear from someone about their experience taking the test, and how they like it compared to the old one.

Cheers,

Josh

Champion

Previously it was like multiple choice questions and answers ,pretty straight forward. 

Now it is more of like Red Hat linux certification , they will you problem to slove in the cluster and you should solve the issue using Couldera manager or command line in hadoop, if i remember correctly sometimes they will also check your linux knoweldge by asking something related to disk space , process state , premission etc 

I belive this is an effort taken by cloudera to avoid dumps preparation which is illegal . 

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your feedbacks. 

I am quite concerned about, since:

1. I do not know if what did during the course CCAH is enough or not for passing the exam ... what do you think about?
  2. I completely ignore the level of complexity of requested tasks
  3. tasks requested do focus only on troubleshooting some errors or even other?

When will you have your CCA131 exam ? 

Champion

Trust me the cource is only for the jump start , i learnt pretty much more with my test and trial . 

I dont thing the cource or training is enough for the certification . As everyone says read the hadoop definite guide and follow the cloudera forum were u can fish lot of problems and solution. Take some time to get certified . Just letting my thoughts 

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Do you know if tasks only require to fix something (troubleshooting) or not only ?

Is there anybody that already took the exam?

New Contributor

Hello Friends,

Greetings!

Is there a way we can know which version of Cloudera manager / CDH , etc will be used?

Read somewhere that it will be a 4 node cluster. Not sure though.

Can anyone in Cloudera certification, help us?

Thanking you.

Plascio

New Contributor

Even I am preparing for the certificate. I am just following Cloudera Administrator pdf file, which I downloaded from the cloudera website. I guess it covers most of the hand-on.

Explorer

Can you please share the link from which you took the material ? 

Thanks in advance

New Contributor

Announcements