New Contributor

Re: CCA175 Spark Scala AND Python

Hello Cloudera

"Do I need to know both Scala and Python?"   As i have seen in website "This template is written in either Scala or Python." so that i can choose language of my selection is this correct?
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 30

It may not be a 100% match to your question but here is something from our community article Cloudera Certification FAQ that may help explain. 

Q - Do I need to know both Scala and Python for the CCA Spark and Hadoop Developer (CCA 175) Certification?  

A - The answer is yes, there are questions using both languages.

However, please remember that the goal of the exam is to test your Spark knowledge, not your Scala and Python knowledge.  The development questions typically provide you some code and ask you to fill in TO-DO sections.  So the key is to understand the Spark API.  You must have some knowledge of programming, as you will need to be able to read the existing code and understand how to store and retrieve the results you get back from calling the API, but the focus will be on you adding the Spark calls.

Cy Jervis, Community Moderator - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

New Contributor

i understand you sir, but the thing is i should learn both or i can select my language familar to me or is questions predfined with spark or predefined with python.  as in website they mentioned like  " either scala or Python " according to that there will be choice of selecting the language. please give me clarify for  "This template is written in either Scala or Python." this was according to website.

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 30

I double checked and this is what I have learned. When a template is provided, it is not guaranteed to be in both languages. However, the goal is to test the Spark API and not the details of the programming languages. I think it falls in line with the quote I shared previously. 

Q - Do I need to know both Scala and Python for the CCA Spark and Hadoop Developer (CCA 175) Certification?  

A - The answer is yes, there are questions using both languages.

However, please remember that the goal of the exam is to test your Spark knowledge, not your Scala and Python knowledge.  The development questions typically provide you some code and ask you to fill in TO-DO sections.  So the key is to understand the Spark API.  You must have some knowledge of programming, as you will need to be able to read the existing code and understand how to store and retrieve the results you get back from calling the API, but the focus will be on you adding the Spark calls.

Cy Jervis, Community Moderator - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Announcements