Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CDH 5.7 doesn't launch on VirtualBox5.1

Explorer

CDH 5.7 doesn't launch on my VirtualBox 5.1. It thinks for a very long time on the black screen with white band & text "Centos 6.7", finally it givesbunch of error messages with different ids (I think process id's):

init: prefdm main process (xxxx) terminated with status 1

init: prefdm main process ended, respawing

(xxxx is numeric, like 3528, 3538,3558,3568,3588, 3598... They follow a pattern though.. )

Then the last entry is:

init: prefdm respawning too fast, stopped

My investigation:

1. The hash code of the downloaded file is correct.

2. My virtualBox is working fine, I am able to launch a new Centos7 VM using CentOS iso. So I don't think it is problem with VirtualBox.

I would appreciate if anybody had faced the issue & got a fix for this...

Regards,

Kiran

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Community Manager

Did you create the VM and point it to the quickstart file or did you use import appliance as mentioned in step 4 of our community article How to setup a Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine?\

Using the specific documentation and instructions provided by your hypervisor application, open the extracted file into that hypervisor application.
For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

Explorer

Yes, Import Applicance worked & my VM is up.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Community Manager

Did you create the VM and point it to the quickstart file or did you use import appliance as mentioned in step 4 of our community article How to setup a Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine?\

Using the specific documentation and instructions provided by your hypervisor application, open the extracted file into that hypervisor application.
For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there.

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Explorer

Hi cjervis,

Thanks for your response.

I added a VM in VirtualBox & mapped the extracted vmdk file.

I wil try the Import Appliance option & update my results.

Regards,

Kiran

Explorer

Yes, Import Applicance worked & my VM is up.

Thanks.

Community Manager

Great! Best of luck going forward. 🙂