Cloudera Certification FAQ

by Community Manager ‎07-15-2016 06:01 AM - edited ‎05-30-2017 08:25 AM

Information on Cloudera Certifications can be found on the Cloudera Training site

Frequently asked questions about Cloudera Certification are also available on the Cloudera Training site. The Purpose of this article is to address additional questions that are commonly surfaced on the Community. 

Q - Do I need to attend a Cloudera Training program to take the certification exams?

A - Our Cloudera Training teaches you everything you need to know for exams and gives you days worth of hands-on practice. We both train and test the same objectives (although we train on more of course) If you do not wish to take our training or cannot afford it, there are hundreds of free resources on the internet.

For example, if I point my browser to the List of objectives from our website. I then copy the first objective and search on it, I get dozens of free docs and training on the skill.As the exam page also tells you that you have access to resources of these during the exam, I suggest becoming intimate with the those.

If you take some time to search each objective and learn the skill, the exam will be easy. If you don’t want to take the time to learn on your own, and you’re not learning on your job, then training is your answer. 

Q - Is there a Study Guide for Exams?

A - There is not a study guide available for exams, but Cloudera tells us exactly what we will be tested on.  

For example, the Required Skills at http://www.cloudera.com/content/www/en-us/training/certification/cca-spark.html tell us that we need to be able to join disparate datasets together using Spark. So go look up the join command in Spark.  Write a quick five line program in Scala.  Then write one in Python.  Also, browse the online documentation so you know where to look up the API during the exam (remember you will not have access to a search engine during the exam).  Putting in effort before the exam will save you a lot of effort during the exam.

Q - Can you provide some details of the Sandbox / environment that will be provided for CCA 175 Certification exam? 

A - http://www.cloudera.com/content/www/en-us/training/certification/cca-spark.html

CCA175 is a hands-on, practical exam using Cloudera technologies. Each user is given their own CDH5 (currently 5.10.0) cluster pre-loaded with Spark 1.6, Impala, Crunch, Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Kafka, Flume, Kite, Hue, Oozie, DataFu, and many others (See a full list). 

Since these are developer questions, the particular version of CDH should not matter much.  The Quickstart VM should be almost identical to the cluster environment.

Q - Do I need to know both Scala and Python for the CCA Spark and Hadoop Developer (CCA 175) Certification?  

A - The answer is yes, there are questions using both languages.

However, please remember that the goal of the exam is to test your Spark knowledge, not your Scala and Python knowledge.  The development questions typically provide you some code and ask you to fill in TO-DO sections.  So the key is to understand the Spark API.  You must have some knowledge of programming, as you will need to be able to read the existing code and understand how to store and retrieve the results you get back from calling the API, but the focus will be on you adding the Spark calls.

Q: How are the certification exams scored?

A: Each scenario that you are given during the test will have a list of output requirements that you must fulfill.  Each of your questions will be machine graded based on those requirements after the exam is submitted.  You should recieve a score report of your results on each question within a day of taking the exam.

The pass rate for all certifications is between 70% and 80%, and the scoring itself is complicated.  Different questions can have different difficulty levels and be worth more or less points than other questions, and some questions may award partial credit.  So it is possible that the score report shows that you missed a question, and yet you may still get some points towards you final score, or vice versa the score report may show that you got a question correct and yet you may not get full credit for it.  

Comments
by DineshP
on ‎07-19-2016 06:10 AM

Hi cjervis.. Many thanks for writing this FAQ. It clarifies many things.

One question though. I could not find CDH 5.3.2 Quickstart VM on cloudera web site (The oldest VM that is available is 5.5.x). Can you please provide the link to 5.3.2 Quickstart VM ?

Regard's

by Community Manager
on ‎07-19-2016 08:18 AM

Great question @DineshP. The most current Quickstart VM should be fine for your studies. While the current test environment provided is CDH 5.3.2 the test concepts are related to the major release of CDH 5. 

by DineshP
on ‎08-03-2016 02:02 AM

Hi @cjervis.. few more questions related to CDH 5.3.2 and DS 700+ certification series.

1. For DS700-DS702, typically how big the dataset would be (on the top side) ? The answer to the question will help me to decide on the tools to be used during evaluation.

Normally I would not be so much worried as I intend to use Spark for solving problems. However CDH 5.3.2 has Spark 1.2.0 which has machine learning libraries which are not considered performant enough (Mlllib in later versions of Spark 1.3+ are fine) compared to  R and Python (scikit) ML libraries. But both R and scikit are considered good if the dataset is not too big and can be processed on a single machine. Hence the quandary.

2. What is the version of Sparkling Water, H2O, Anaconda on CDH 5.3.2

I know Cloudera is of the opinion that version info should not matter. But when I look into the available libraries in CDH 5.3.2, I find something or the other missing. Therefore, I request you to provide the version info.

Regard's

by mtprospect
on ‎09-15-2016 02:22 PM

For CCP Data Engineer (DE575), do I need to know Python, Java, Scala and Impala? I know its not mentioned on the objectives, however the cluster mentions about these items. Do I need to write any code using above items?

If I don't need to use any of above to write code, I should be able to write my exam next week. Any guidance on this is much appreciated.

Thanks

by Community Manager
on ‎09-17-2016 07:43 AM

I asked around and this is the reply I received.

The exam asks takers to solve problems, we don't ask them to use specific technologies. There are multiple questions that requires the use of data in the Hive Metastore. That can be Hive or Impala.

There are multiple questions where there will likely be need to code. That could be MapReduce, Spark, Python, etc. It is up to the user to know how to solve problems with the language they know, not for them to understand all languages.

I hope this helps...

by apdevaraj123
on ‎09-26-2016 09:32 AM

Hi, My question is regarding restrictions during taking up an exam...

1. Would restriction be only for search engines or for an entire web-browsing? and
  2. Is our local machine (directories) accessible, so that we can refer our own materials or references?

Thanks,

Dev.

by Community Manager
on ‎09-26-2016 09:59 AM

If you look at the exam delivery and cluster information section for CCA175 and DE575 they list exactly what resources, documentation and links will be available during the exam. They both end with this statement:

Only the documentation, links, and resources listed above are accessible during the exam. All other websites, including Google/search functionality is disabled. You may not use notes or other exam aids.

by apdevaraj123
on ‎09-26-2016 01:16 PM
Thanks cjervis

by abhishekv
‎10-06-2016 10:27 PM - edited ‎10-06-2016 10:29 PM

Hello @cjervis,

I cleared my Cloudera Certification (CCA-500) on September 11th and received email the same evening confirming my score. Also, it stated that I would receive my certificate and license number in 4 to 5 working days.

Today it is 7th October and I am yet to receive anything. I had the most harrowing & unprofessional experience from Cloudera when it comes to addressing my queries. Be it over the email or leaving voice messages.

I have sent out over half a dozen emails asking for status of my certificate & I never got the replies on time. It's almost 1 month & I am wondering how could it ever take so long for Cloudera to process my certificate. The only replies I have got are from Devon Michaels. I find it extremely appalling & as lack of simple courtesy when I hardly receive any reply from the coordinator about the status of my certificate. It is extremely frustating when no reason is even told as to where things are stuck. Is certificate processing such a Big Process that it takes 1 month? I am extremely disappointed by this laid back and casual approach which has made me wait for a month. 

I hope this issue would be escalated and solved from here as I have lost faith over getting it addressed over the email.

Thank you.

Abhishek Vadnerkar

by Community Manager
on ‎10-11-2016 07:44 AM

@abhishekv I am sorry to hear about your issues with the certification. I reached out to the certification team and was advised that they corrected the issue that caused the delay but did not supply any additional information. You can email certification@cloudera.com with any further issues as the forum is not the appropriate place to discuss the specifics of an incident. 

by obar1
on ‎11-14-2016 08:13 AM

sorry @cjervis

for how long are you planning to stay with cloudera 5.3.2... any imminent plans to update the exam,

I am asking as I am spending time on preparing the CCA175 now

thanks

@DineshP I think you need to install cmf with packages and select the 5.3.2... I am doing this way

by Community Manager
on ‎11-16-2016 05:06 AM

Since the exam is based on the major release of CDH 5 I wouldn't expect any changes until CDH 6 at this point. I can ask the certification team to be sure though if you would like. Is there a particular concern you are having over the version for the exam?

by obar1
on ‎11-16-2016 05:34 AM

hi @cjervis

I can see from the official page http://www.cloudera.com/training/certification/cca-spark.html 

'Each user is given their own CDH5 (currently 5.3.2) cluster pre-loaded with Spark, Impala, Crunch, Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Kafka, Flume, Kite, Hue, Oozie, DataFu, and many others'

so the cluster image has not been updated fro a while....

so as long things will not change by the cloudera academy I am ok; I am sure cloudera 6 will come out not very very soon so I can go ahead with the training targeting version 5.x for the next 2-3 months and then attempt the exam (without re-training effort to target the new platform)

Mario

by Community Manager
on ‎11-23-2016 12:20 AM

I stand corrected. I double checked with the certification team and they are working on a new cluster now based on 5.8/5.9 to be added near the start of next year. 

by obar1
on ‎11-23-2016 02:40 AM

thansk a lot @cjervis

so we should hurry up to get the certifdiaction asap based on that to avoid to restrain on the newer version (at least spark woukld be much never) etc

do you agree?

Bests Mario

by Community Manager
on ‎11-23-2016 06:59 AM

It is really dependent upon your own comfort level. If you are ready before the end of year, take it then. If you have any doubts or would be more comfortable, wait for the new testing environment.  

by obar1
on ‎11-28-2016 08:33 AM
Thanks that was very useful... so likely spark 1.6 by then
by cse681987
on ‎01-06-2017 01:00 PM - last edited on ‎01-10-2017 06:45 AM by Community Manager

Don't go for cloudera certifications as they have opened a money making business by selling their reputation in the form of certifications. When I gave CCDH-410 in 2014, it was scheduled at some center. Now cloudera has taken off those facilities and you have to give exam from your laptop only and still certification charges are same, there is no reduction in the cost of certification. If cloudera is charging for certification than they should provide facilities as well. Now you have to connect to their remote machine from your machine. And that remote machine will be so slow even a tortoise can move faster than their remote machine. If you have to type "hdfs dfs -ls" on terminal than it was taking around 1 minute to type only. You will not be able to navigate from terminal to Firefox (Problem statement).

You will be really very disappointed after giving this exam as the provided infrastructure was so bad that if you have to click on terminal than that goes on unresponsive for so long, If you have to look at the problem in Firefox, It took lot of time to Firefox come-up. You will lose remote machine connectivity many times during the exam and so as your precious time of exam. Even you will not be able to attempt all the questions due to their environment. You will really get socked after experience this kind of environment for cloudera certification and will lose your money.

On top of it you will lose you remote connection many time in between and there will be one proctor who supposed to help you out in this situation but it will be very irritating and you will lose because cloudera arranged a virtual proctor for you to disturb in between with his regular pings.  You will feel like ditch from cloudera as there were lot of environmental challenges and it will be really difficult to debug in such a slow environment if you have to do that.

So my recommendation is that don't waste your hard earned money on cloudera. This is their business.

Thanks...

Pankaj Vashistha

by Community Manager
on ‎01-06-2017 02:23 PM

@cse681987

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the certification process as that is not our goal. I have forwarded your information to the certification team to look into your situation. 

If you would like to email them as well, their email address is certification@cloudera.com. 

by obar1
on ‎03-08-2017 02:22 AM

hi @cjervis

have you changed the spark questions too as now 1.6 (not 1.2.1) is on the cluster

https://www.cloudera.com/more/training/certification/cca-spark.html

or the questions haven't changed (just the platform)

Besta Mario 

by Community Manager
on ‎03-08-2017 05:10 AM

@MJudd has started a thread on CCA175 required skills and cluster updates. I would post your question there to see what he has to say. 

by delhilife143
on ‎03-09-2017 02:55 AM

cca 175 hadoop and spark developer certification

I HAVE TO GIVE CCA 175 EXAM AFTER 7 DAYS BUT I HAVE SEEN CHANGES IN THE PATTERN TODAY.WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT IN THE EXAM.IT WILL BE ACCORDING TO OLD OR NEW SYLLABUS.PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

SAHIL

by MohitDamani04
on ‎06-21-2017 11:41 PM

I m thinking for Spark certification but not sure which one to pick and how will it benefit me in future. Below are my quries
1) I have a background of Python, R, SAS etc now which certification should i opt
2) What other things will be covered in the certification like other languages, Architecture etc
3) Cost & validity for Certification

Contributors
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article was generated by third-parties and not by Cloudera or it's personnel. Cloudera cannot guarantee its accuracy or efficacy. Cloudera disclaims all warranties of any kind and users of this information assume all risk associated with it and with following the advice or directions contained herein. By visiting this page, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of Site Usage , including all disclaimers and limitations contained therein.