Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Facing problem in cloudera VM booting

Explorer

I am facing problem to start the virtual machine. A message appears in the black box every time I start. It says- " This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.Unable to boot. Please use a kernel appropriate to your CPU." Please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Community Manager

Unfortunately you will not be able to host the Quickstart VM on that machine then. The minimum RAM required by the QuickStart VM is 4GB and the processor needs to be 64bit. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

Community Manager

There is your issue. The OS for the VM is set to 32bit when the QuickstartVM requires a 64bit OS. You also only have 1GB of RAM allocated to the VM when it requires a minimum of 4GB. I suggest starting over with a new VM following the instructions in our community article. You will still have the issue of not enough RAM for the VM since it requires 4GB minimum above what is used by the host system but I would make sure this error message goes away before worrying about that. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Community Manager

I am sorry to see you are running into an issue with the QuickStartVM. Can you describe the host system (processor, RAM, etc) that you are installing the VM onto as well as what resources you have allocated to the VM? 

I believe the issue you are running into is that your processor is 32bit while the VM requires a 64bit processor. If you look at the QuickStart VM download page the requirements list the following item.

• These 64-bit VMs require a 64-bit host OS and a virtualization product that can support a 64-bit guest OS.

I want to double check if your processor is indeed 32bit or perhaps you are receiving the message because the OS is only 32bit. 

Explorer
Yes I have a 32 bit processor and 2 GB RAM. kindly suggest the solution.

Community Manager

Unfortunately you will not be able to host the Quickstart VM on that machine then. The minimum RAM required by the QuickStart VM is 4GB and the processor needs to be 64bit. 

Explorer

Sir, I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and I rechecked the properties which mentioned that it is a 64bit OS and x64- based processor. Even after the upgradation I am still facing the same issue.

Community Manager

One issue is still going to be the RAM. While you may have added RAM to the system 4GB is the mimimum needed by the VM. That means you will need even more than that to run the rest of your host computer. For instance a Windows 10 PC requires a minimum of 2GB or RAM on a 64bit system. That would mean you need 2GB for the computer plus 4GB for the VM for a total of 6GB of RAM just to meet minimum requirements. 

Before you go buying more RAM though, lets settle the processor issue first to be absolutely sure it is 64bit. Can you advise the processor model number used in your system as well as which operating system you are using?

Explorer

Sure sir. the specifications are as follow

Windows 10

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M cpu @ 2.50 GHz

system type: 64 bit operating system, x-64 based processor

RAM: 4 GB

Community Manager

Ok the processor looks to be ok since it is 64bit and dual core. The RAM is still going to be an issue but lets also think about some other things because the message about 64bit is still bothering me. 

Take a look at our community article on setting up the QuickStart VM. While the article is about the steps to set up the VM there is a list of common issues near the bottom of the page. The first one is what I would be interested here since you are using a Windows system. Sometimes you need to turn on Virtualization. I don't think it is the cause of the message but is something to look into just in case. 

As for the VM, can you advise the specifications you provided to it (Processor, RAM, OS)?

Explorer

Sir I checked the bios setting and found that virtualization was disabled. Even after enabling virtualization I am still getting the similar error message. 

Community Manager

OK, can you advise on the way the VM is set up (processor, RAM, OS)?