Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Facing problem in cloudera VM booting

Explorer

I am facing problem to start the virtual machine. A message appears in the black box every time I start. It says- " This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.Unable to boot. Please use a kernel appropriate to your CPU." Please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Community Manager

Unfortunately you will not be able to host the Quickstart VM on that machine then. The minimum RAM required by the QuickStart VM is 4GB and the processor needs to be 64bit. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

Community Manager

There is your issue. The OS for the VM is set to 32bit when the QuickstartVM requires a 64bit OS. You also only have 1GB of RAM allocated to the VM when it requires a minimum of 4GB. I suggest starting over with a new VM following the instructions in our community article. You will still have the issue of not enough RAM for the VM since it requires 4GB minimum above what is used by the host system but I would make sure this error message goes away before worrying about that. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Explorer

VM specifications are as follow:

Name: quickstart VM 5.4.2-0 virtualbox

operating system:  ubuntu(32 bit)

base memory: 908 MB

video memory: 8 MB

Community Manager

There is your issue. The OS for the VM is set to 32bit when the QuickstartVM requires a 64bit OS. You also only have 1GB of RAM allocated to the VM when it requires a minimum of 4GB. I suggest starting over with a new VM following the instructions in our community article. You will still have the issue of not enough RAM for the VM since it requires 4GB minimum above what is used by the host system but I would make sure this error message goes away before worrying about that. 

Explorer

Thank you very much sir. Finally it is working. 🙂