New Contributor

Hive extremely slow in CDH 5 sandbox

I have oberserved, hive is extremely slow to execute even if a simple select command or use command in CDH 5 sandbox.  I have used CDH 5.5 and then upgraded to the latest i.e. CDH 5.13. The slowness didn't go away. I have allocated 2 core processors and 12 GB RAM to the VM. I also have turned off all other services except HDFS, YARN and Hive. Cluster CPU is just at 10%.

Anyone facing the same issues or have solution to it, please let me know.

regards,

Shamik

New Contributor

Re: Hive extremely slow in CDH 5 sandbox

Hi All,

I have resolved this issue, by two ways:

1. Switch to AWS cloud. Use m4.xlarge EC2 instances and install Cloudera Manager on it. Please allocate atleast 30 GB SSD/HDD. I used 4 such EC2 instances in AWS. One for Cloudera Manager UI, one for NameNode and two for DataNodes. Cloudera Manager is working seemlessly. Please note, if you use lower EC2 configurations you will face challenges due to resources. This option is costly to maintain.
  2. Another solution is, allocate at least 12 GB RAM and 2 vCPU to your sandbox (although recommended in 8-10 GB RAM). You have switch off the services you aren't using. If you see problem try stop all and start all services, then turn off unused services. Remember to turn off all services before you shut down your sandbox. It is now working without any issues.

regards,

Shamik

Announcements