How to setup Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine

by Community Manager on ‎01-19-2016 10:26 AM - edited on ‎03-29-2017 01:36 PM by Community Manager

Summary

The purpose of this article is to assist you in starting up your Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine once you have downloaded it.

Applies To

Quickstart VM 5.5

Instructions

IMPORTANT: As recommended on the download page, we HIGHLY recommend that you install a “Download Manager” extension to your web browser and utilize that to manage the download of the Quickstart VM as it is a VERY large file and can easily get corrupted during download due to connectivity issues. A download manager add-on will assist you in getting a clean download and save you time and spare the frustration.

Downloading the VM:

1. Select the hypervisor applicationof your choice.  Available options are:
  • Oracle VirtualBox(free/opensource)
  • VMWare(multiple versions to choose from, some cost money, the "player" is free)
  • KVM(free/opensource)
  1. Once your hypervisor application is installed and working on your desktop, select a zip file to downloadwhich matches the hypervisor you've chosen.  We offer 1 zip file for each of the above hypervisors.
  2. It is recommended to use the 7-zip application if you are on a Windows desktop, to extract the contents of the downloaded zip file. Linux has an included “unzip” command which should work fine. On Mac OSX, it is recommended to use the “tar” command on large files, for example:

tar xzvf cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.5.0-0-virtualbox.zip

Installing the VM:

1. Using the specific documentation and instructions provided by your hypervisor application, open the extracted file into that hypervisor application.
    1. For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there.
    2. If you elected to use VMWare, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.vmx file and a *.vmdk file from Cloudera. These two files combine to help VMWare Workstation or Player open the Quickstart VM. See these instructions for further detail.

Information on Accounts:

Once you launch the VM, you are automatically logged in as the cloudera user. The account details are:

• username: cloudera
  • password: cloudera

The cloudera account has sudo privileges in the VM. The root account password is cloudera.

The root MySQL password (and the password for other MySQL user accounts) is also cloudera.

Hue and Cloudera Manager use the same credentials.

Common issues:

1. VMWare and VirtualBox versions of the VM on Windows: In Windows machines, sometimes virtualization needs to be enabled in the BIOS.  Enabling virtualization in a PC is usually a step you take during boot up. As your system boots up, it will flash a message telling you to press a key (e.g. F1, F2, escape) to configure BIOS settings. If you have never run a VM on your laptop before, you will likely have to take this step.The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. Here is a VMware knowledge base article that may help: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 .
    2. KVM already installed on your machine: If you do have KVM, then download the KVM version of Quickstart VM and don't use Virtual Box. There was a time when VB wouldn't run while KVM modules were loaded. There's a work-around that involves unloading KVM kernel modules, but we would just use the KVM version if this is causing the issue. 
    3. System requirements: Cloudera's 64-bit VMs require a 64-bit host OS and a virtualization product that can support a 64-bit guest. The amount of RAM required by the VM (separate from system RAM) varies by the run-time option you choose: 
    4.  Some users have reported problems running CentOS 6.4 in VirtualBox. If a kernel panic occurs while the VirtualBox VM is booting, you can try working around this problem by opening the Settings > System > Motherboard tab, and selecting ICH9 instead of PIIX3 for the chip set. If you have not already done so, you must also enable I/O APIC on the same tab.

SHA1 for VirtualBox image: 1309591109ebd9b1e44c89bd064b12d8b00feeb6

5. Cloudera Manager requirements: Cloudera Manager is installed in the VM but is turned off by default. If you would like to use Cloudera Manager, open the Launch Cloudera Manager icon on the desktop. It is strongly recommended that before you do so, you configure the VM with a minimum of 8 GiB of RAM and 2 virtual CPU cores (by default it will use 4 GiB of RAM and 1 virtual CPU core). Cloudera Manager and all of the CDH services might not launch properly with less RAM. After launching Cloudera Manager, all of the services in CDH are started, although it might take several minutes for Cloudera Manager to start all of the services. To conserve resources and improve performance, it is recommended that you stop services you do not plan to use. Changes made to configuration files before launching Cloudera Manager are not preserved.You can start or reconfigure any installed services using the web interface that is automatically displayed when the VM starts.

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 2.47.24 PM.png

Comments
by DavBro
on ‎05-24-2016 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info,cjervis! I did it a different way yesterday: I clicked
on the "new bottom" and then followed the info from there,and that's where
I ran into trouble. I deleted the file with the intention of reinstalling
it; I thought that would resolve the issue, but when I tried to reinstall
Cloudera-Quickstart to the VM Virtualbox under the initial way, I'm getting
the followings: accessible,doc,drivers,nls,sdk, and x86, not the full
Cloudera-Quickstart-vm 5.7.0-0...OVF file. I also tried it based on the
instructions we sent me and I am not seeing anything at all. I am new to
this and don't have a lot of experience, so please forgive me if appear
amateurish in my explanation.

Thanks again for your help with this matter!

David

by DavBro
on ‎05-24-2016 12:28 PM

Please disregard message. I was using the zip file instead of  the unzip... and your instructions worked like a charm, THANKS.  I really appreciate the instructions!

by JOhnnyW
on ‎06-02-2016 06:38 PM

Hi,

I have a thinkpad w520 installed with Windows 10(64bit) as Host OS, I am able to run Debian Linux(64bit) as VM in Virtual Box, but when I downloaded QuickStartCHD5.7 and trying to boot it up in Virtual Box it got following error.

init: prefdm main porcess ended

init: prefdm respawning too fast, stopped

Could anyone please tell me how could I solve the problem?

by JOhnnyW
on ‎07-08-2016 01:25 AM

I have to switch to VMWare image(cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.7.0-0-vmware), and run the VM with VMWare Player, it's able to be boot up now. :)

by kmdev999
‎10-13-2016 02:48 PM - edited ‎10-13-2016 03:03 PM

problems with vm on virtual box - mac.

posted as new topic - virtual-box-quick-start-vm-5-8-failing-on-mac-osx 

by Techey
on ‎07-06-2017 07:50 AM

Once installation is done how to start CDH 5 default (4 Gb RAM required) VM?

I can see the icon to launch Express & Enterprise which required more memory which I don't have.

I can launch only CDH 5 default.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article was generated by third-parties and not by Cloudera or it's personnel. Cloudera cannot guarantee its accuracy or efficacy. Cloudera disclaims all warranties of any kind and users of this information assume all risk associated with it and with following the advice or directions contained herein. By visiting this page, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of Site Usage , including all disclaimers and limitations contained therein.