Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there a limit on number of namenodes we can have in Hadoop-2.x cluster ?

Explorer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I should have mentioned earlier, HDFS Federation is not really supported in CDH5/CM5. Federation is from a time period where Namenode performance wasn't very scalable. Recent releases of Hadoop are quite good at scaling to many hundreds of nodes.

Is there a reason you want to use Federation? Maybe we can resolve your problem another way.
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

If HDFS Federation is involved, you can have up to two namenodes per namespace in a HA configuration. If your entire HDFS is using one namespace, then you can have up to Namenodes in the HA configuration.
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

Explorer

If we need to configure HA with HDFS federation, do we need to have standby namenode for every active namenode in the cluster ?

Is there a link or document that i can refer to configure both HA and HDFS federation.. All that i have seen so far is either to configure HA or federation but not both.

I should have mentioned earlier, HDFS Federation is not really supported in CDH5/CM5. Federation is from a time period where Namenode performance wasn't very scalable. Recent releases of Hadoop are quite good at scaling to many hundreds of nodes.

Is there a reason you want to use Federation? Maybe we can resolve your problem another way.
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan