Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not able to open CDH 5 default quickstart VM

Explorer

Not able to open CDH 5 default VM which requires min 4GB of RAM.

I'm using Virtualbox, quick start VM on desktop. After installing can Enterpirse & Express icons to launch but do not see to launch CDH 5 default VM .

My machine has total 8GB RAM and assigned 5GB RAM to VM so can't use Enterpirse & Express. Need to use default VM which reuires only 4GB.

I have donwloaded quickstart-vm-5.10.0.-0-virtualbox.

CDH and Cloudera Manager Version RAM Required by VM

CDH 5 (default) 4+ GiB*
Cloudera Express 8+ GiB*
Cloudera Enterprise (trial) 10+ GiB*

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Champion

if you are able to bring up the cloudera manager then it is a good sign there is no such thing as default eithe you use cloudera manager express edition or enterprise edition , both comes with the preconfigured resource threshold precentage that it will check to see if the nodes are runining with adequate resouce , since you are accomdating it with a little RAM it is showing the health as bad . You have to manually go to the each servicec in the Cloudera manager UI change the resource threshold accordingly for example hdfs disk space , namenode heap size,secondarynamenode heap size , cloudera management's database free space , event server heap size etc . this is really going to be pain in the back Or as suggested you can manual manage the CDH by totally avoiding the cloudera manager and deploy Single Linux Node in Pseudo-distributed Mode . 

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Sorry, I misread the question. Since I don't use the QuickStart VM very often let me ask around. My recollection is that for the default (no Cloudera Manager) you start working in the terminal. 

A quick note from the Getting Started tab on the download page:

Accounts

Once you launch the VM, you are automatically logged in as the cloudera user. The account details are:

• username: cloudera
  • password: cloudera

The cloudera account has sudo privileges in the VM. The root account password is cloudera.

The root MySQL password (and the password for other MySQL user accounts) is also cloudera.

Hue and Cloudera Manager use the same credentials.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Explorer

How to launch CDH 5 default quickstart VM?

Community Manager

You would use the express Icon to launch CDH5 default. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Explorer

If I click on 'Express' icon there is WARNING that I need at least 8GB RAM.

I have bly 7GB RAM for my oracle virtual box.

So I am looking for option to launch 'default' which requirs 4 GB.

Champion

I dont know if you are using the quickstart for learning but I would suggest you to install just the CDH (manage it using commandline) and not use the cloudera manager to manage your clusters. or you have another option which I havent tried because i have a 12GB ram . 
How about using the installer .bin file PATH A installation of Cloudera manager in your VM. but it would requires internet as you will be downloding parcels and activating it across the clusters.Also since you are going to run the CM in low RAM resouce you might want to tweak  its maximum heap size by modifying -Xmx parameter in SCM init script /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server and down line just save some resouce you may have to shutdown few service which you are not using . 

Champion

did you try using the --force which i mentioned ? 

Explorer

yes with --force option it is working.

Then started all services as well but status of the most of the service is 'Concerning health', 'bad health'. This is due to less memory.

So wondring how I can start default which used only 4GB?

I'm using Oracle Virtualbox, quick start VM on my laptop.

I need it for hands-on online virtual training for 2 days.

Champion

if you are able to bring up the cloudera manager then it is a good sign there is no such thing as default eithe you use cloudera manager express edition or enterprise edition , both comes with the preconfigured resource threshold precentage that it will check to see if the nodes are runining with adequate resouce , since you are accomdating it with a little RAM it is showing the health as bad . You have to manually go to the each servicec in the Cloudera manager UI change the resource threshold accordingly for example hdfs disk space , namenode heap size,secondarynamenode heap size , cloudera management's database free space , event server heap size etc . this is really going to be pain in the back Or as suggested you can manual manage the CDH by totally avoiding the cloudera manager and deploy Single Linux Node in Pseudo-distributed Mode . 

Community Manager

Sorry, I misread the question. Since I don't use the QuickStart VM very often let me ask around. My recollection is that for the default (no Cloudera Manager) you start working in the terminal. 

A quick note from the Getting Started tab on the download page:

Accounts

Once you launch the VM, you are automatically logged in as the cloudera user. The account details are:

• username: cloudera
  • password: cloudera

The cloudera account has sudo privileges in the VM. The root account password is cloudera.

The root MySQL password (and the password for other MySQL user accounts) is also cloudera.

Hue and Cloudera Manager use the same credentials.

New Contributor

In my terminal instead of showing cloudera@quickstart it showing bash-4.1$. may be by unknowingly i have changed but now i am not able to change it to  cloudera@quickstart . How i cn change the default value to  cloudera@quickstart