New Contributor

Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

First of all thank you very much for proving the quickstart vm. It allowed me to have a nice first insight into the technologies i am planning to use.
There are some issues that don't let me progress further in the turorials:

http://quickstart.cloudera/#/go_grid is completely empty. No information given.

The example  also contains a wrong command since the home folder as root is not cloudera:
[root@quickstart.cloudera ~] hadoop fs -copyFromLocal ~/*.avsc /user/examples/

this should actually be
​[cloudera@quickstart ~]$ hadoop fs -copyFromLocal ~/*.avsc /user/examples/

I cannot execute any queries in Impala, the queries time out. The same queries work fine in Hive. I already tried changing the timeout in beeswax as suggested after googling.

[beeswax]
server_conn_timeout=120

The only thing that did was to display the timeout a bit later. I checked the steps multiple times, can't spot any issue with the tutorial.

Kind Regards,
Thorsten

Cloudera Employee

Re: Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

Thanks for reporting your issues, Thorsten.

>> http://quickstart.cloudera/#/go_grid is completely empty. No information given.

Where are you seeing this URL? It's used in a similar tutorial when you spin up a Cloudera cluster on GoGrid, but it should not show up in the tutorial when you view it on Cloudera Live, and I can't find it in my copy of the VM. In any case, you do not need any information from that page if you're using the VM - it just walks you through finding your SSH credentials / root password on GoGrid. In the VM, you can SSH if you want (root password is cloudera), but you can also just open a terminal directly.

>> The example  also contains a wrong command since the home folder as root is not cloudera:

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll get it fixed for the next VM. That's actually the hostname of the machine and it's not meant to have the domain included - not the home directory.

>> I cannot execute any queries in Impala, the queries time out.

I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Could you verify that the Impala services are running correctly? e.g.

service impala-server status

service impala-state-store status

service impala-catalog status

If all services are running, I'd suggest you check the logs in /var/log/impala or /var/log/hue and see if you can find any helpful error messages about exactly what's timing out or failing.

New Contributor

Re: Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

Hell and thank you for the answers.

The link can be found on http://quickstart.cloudera/#/tutorial/ingest_structured_data under "Your Cloudera Cluster"

I restarted all the services and the query seems to be running getting another error on the Results tab:

Fetching results ran into the following error(s):

Error reading from HDFS file: hdfs://quickstart.cloudera:8020/user/hive/warehouse/tokenized_access_logs/000000_0 Error(255): Unknown error 255

Checking the configuration gives me this:

Potential misconfiguration detected. Fix and restart Hue.

Announcements