Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Python Streaming

Contributor

I'm trying to use my local installation of Cloudera Quickstart VM to do a small mapreduce job in Python.

My test script works when I explicitly add python to the script:

# cat inputfile.txt | python mymapper.py | sort | python myreducer.py

I need to add python to the path in the vm.  What's the best way to do this so it finds python from the command line and in Hadoop?  I haven't been successful trying to find and modify the right files in the Cloudera VM.

(I was able to run this on AWS.  I tried from the hadoop command line also:

hadoop jar /usr/lib/hadoop-0.20-mapreduce/contrib/streaming/hadoop-streaming-2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.3.0.jar \

-input inputfile.txt \

-output output010 \

-mapper mymapper.py \

-file mymapper.py \

-combiner myreducer.py \

-reducer myreducer.py \

-file myreducer.py

... and it fails)

Any help to get the  right would be appreciated.

thanks,

jp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

It took me a while to figure out.  I just got it a minute ago. 

I was running scripts that I developed in Windows (where end-of-line = cr+lf).  I needed to strip out the "cr" so the python interpreter in Linux wouldn't be looking for /usr/bin/env python/r, but /usr/bin/env python. 

Now I can move on.

jp

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Guru

jp,

Try inserting the header "#!/usr/bin/env python" as the first line in your scripts. This signals to the operating system that your scripts are executable through Python. If you do this in your local example (and do "chmod +x *.py"), it works without having to add python to the script:

cat inputfile.txt | ./mymapper.py | sort | ./myreducer.py

Copy the modified files back into HDFS and MapReduce will now be able to execute your mappers and reducers.

Contributor

Thanks.  I rebooted, reconstructed new files and again tried both #!/usr/bin/env python  and  #!/usr/bin/python  and changed permissions to include -x .

I'm making it through the file, mymapper, and sort, but I'm getting "no such file or directory" when I pipe it to  ./myreducer.py

But when I explicitly add "python" as the executable it works.

I'm guessing this is some obvious newbie issue (new to linux) but I should have this in the bag by now.

jp

Guru
It sounds like you may have a typo in one of the file paths.

If you see something similar to "bash: ./myreducer.py: No such file or directory" your typo is in the path or filename of the reducer script.

But if you see "bad interpreter" in the error, it means the path you're using to point to python is incorrect.

If you have a hard time finding a typo, try copy / pasting the output of "ls -l", your exact command and the exact output of that command, and possibly your scripts as well. In the Linux terminal windows, Ctrl + Shift + C and Ctrl + Shift + V can be used to copy and paste.

Guru

JP,

One other thought, which may be off track, but since I can't see the command-line data that Sean has mentioned, I'm just guessing, is that you might want to check the permissions on the reducer.py script.  In order for it to accept the pipe and execute the sorted data as input, it must be executable.  You can assure it is executable by issuing a "chmod 755 reducer.py" on the file.

HTH,

Clint

Contributor

thanks - I did this through the properties screen of the file browser, but I tried it again with the command you supplied.  still no luck - the process completes, but outputs nothing, even with a plain vanilla reducer (echoing the mapper output).

jp

Guru

Odd.  I take it you're doing something in your reducer that's smart about reading the "standard input" that's being piped to it?  Something like:

for line in sys.stdin:

Also, as Sean indicated, if we could get pastes of your source code and also the actual command-line output/errors you are seeing, that would round out the picture for us.

Thanks,

Clint

Contributor

It took me a while to figure out.  I just got it a minute ago. 

I was running scripts that I developed in Windows (where end-of-line = cr+lf).  I needed to strip out the "cr" so the python interpreter in Linux wouldn't be looking for /usr/bin/env python/r, but /usr/bin/env python. 

Now I can move on.

jp

Guru

Ouch, the old Windows-Linux end-of-line character conversion problem strikes again!  Thanks for closing the loop with us, jp, glad it's resolved!

Super Guru

Nice!

For information: editing the script directly in the File Browser in Hue does this cleaning too!