Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

QuickStart VM for CDH 5.4.x Won't Start on Mac

Explorer

Mac Yosemite machine on Intel Core i7 running VMWare Fusion 7.1.1.

I download the VM and open the file cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.0-0-vmware.vmx.

When I try to run the VM, the play button turns purple for a split-second and nothing happens.

What's the deal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Turns out it is a bug in Yosemite.

Running this 

sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10

and restarting solves the issue.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Guru

I'm going to look into this, but while I do, here's something you can try if you'd like. These lines were added to the .vmx configuration file recently, and that's the only recent change that I can think of that might affect Fusion specifically. You could try removing them from the file and tryin again. (They're only added as a convenience to hide some annoying reminders and prompts).

tools.remindinstall="FALSE"
tools.upgrade.policy="manual"

Let me know if that does or doesn't work for you if you can try it out, otherwise I'll post back as soon as I can with more information.

Guru

I've had another VMWare Fusion user confirm that the latest (5.4.0-0) release works well for them, and they actually informed me that those lines we recently added to the .vmx file have been in use for a long time in Cloudera's courses without incident, so I don't think it's worth messing with those settings after all.

My only other suggestion would be to see if there is any kind of error message you can get from Fusion about why the VM is failing to start. It would see from the following article that you can enable some diagnostic information collection - perhaps the resulting files will contain a more useful error message?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=1...

Explorer

I generated logging, but it is actually a zip of a bunch of files including other zips. Trying to make sense of all the zips within zips reminds me of the movie Inception.

It is hard to say what the problem is from the logs, and it is generally puzzling since I haven't even done anything yet. But I suppose I can keep at it. I know I was able to open 5.2.

Explorer

Turns out it is a bug in Yosemite.

Running this 

sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10

and restarting solves the issue.

Guru

Thanks for letting us know - glad you got it working! Is there are an article or blog post with more background on the bug you chould share?

Explorer

Found the information here.

New Contributor

Thanks for giving me interesting information

Tiny Tanks

Tiny Tanks Unblocked

New Contributor

I guess I met the same prolem.  I ran, sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10 in terminal and but it didn't fix all the problem. By the way, I do see Enable VT-x/AMD-V and Enable Nested Paging are both checked in the Acceleration tab under System in the Virtual Box settings.

Do anybody have any suggestion what I should try next? Thanks.