New Contributor

Services does not start no matter what

So my RAM is 8 GB, and processor is a 4 core i5 processor. I'm using Virtual Box 1.5.12 to load my Cloudera Vm version'd 5.13

Initally I allocated 4 gb for configuration and 4 cores.. but it didnt work.. later I allocated 8 GM and 4 cores and still it doesnt work. None of the services start. I use Express in command terminal since it requires 8 GB RAM.. but my cludera is in bad health condition. I tried to reduce the resource of certain services, but still it doesnt work.. there are additional health issues when I reduce the resources. Now in thr host I'm getting

Memory on host quickstart.cloudera is overcommitted. The total memory allocation is 8.5 GiB bytes but there are only 7.5 GiB bytes of RAM (1.5 GiB bytes of which are reserved for the system). Visit the Resources tab on the Host page for allocation details. Reconfigure the roles on the host to lower the overall memory allocation. Note: Java maximum heap sizes are multiplied by 1.3 to approximate JVM overhead.

Please let me know about the correct configuration for a 8 GB RAM system and how can I get around this issue.

Kudos: 105
Solutions: 55

Re: Services does not start no matter what

Hi @rudy1,

If you look over the Quickstart VM system requirements you will see that when selecting the express version the requirement it 8GB of RAM allocated to the VM. Lets look at what this means for your set up.

8GB of system RAM

- 1.5GB -2GB of RAM for operating system and programs

---------------------------------

About 6GB of RAM available to allocate to the VM

As seen in the screen shot below, the Quickstart VM Cloudera Express version requires 8+ GB of RAM allocated to the VM. Your VM does not have enough to meet the requirement.

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 8.56.41 AM.png

Your choices are to add more RAM to your system or to use the CDH 5 default version (w/o Cloudera Manager).

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Kudos: 105
Solutions: 55

Re: Services does not start no matter what

Oh, I forgot to mention the allocation of processor cores. Like with RAM you need to leave some of the cores available to the host system for running the OS and programs. 

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Announcements