New Contributor

Unable to connect to Cloudera Manager Quickstart VM 5.8

[ Edited ]

I installed Cloudera Manager Quickstart VM 5.8 a week ago and have been working on it every day every since. Although I enjoyed working on it and learning new things, I am facing some problem with the software. In the past 1 week, the browser was unable to connect to Cloudera Manager and tried connecting continously for a long period of time. First time when it happened I thought that it was some connectivity issues and as I didn't have much work saved on the system. I quickly uninstalled the VM and started a new one again.. But I am facing the same problem for the second time within a week. My system has 16GB RAM, i3 5th generating processor. I am running it on VMware workstation.

Please note that I have 16gb RAM & 4 virtual CPUPlease note that I have 16gb RAM & 4 virtual CPU

Kudos: 54
Solutions: 28

Re: Unable to connect to Cloudera Manager Quickstart VM 5.8

Welcome to the community. I'm not an expert but I like to try to rule out the easy fixes I know in case it can assist you while you wait for a more seasoned expert to chime in. 

ClouderaMQVM wrote:

My system has 16GB RAM, i3 5th generating processor. I am running it on VMware workstation.

I want to be clear here, it seems that you are stating the system has the above specs but what resources have you allocated to the VM you are having the issues with? 

As seen in your screen shot, using Cloudera Manager in the VM requires a minimum of 8GB or RAM and two virtual processing cores. Using the Cloudera Enterprise Trial requires a minimum of 10GB of RAM and two virtual cores. Sometimes people don't realize that the resources allocated to the VM take away from the resources available to the main system which has minimum requirements as well. You may be running into our top common issue listed on our community article on how to setup the Cloudera Quickstart VM which is virtualization needing to be enabled on Windows systems. 

Cy Jervis, Community Moderator - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

New Contributor

Hello cjervis,

Appreciate your response to my problem.. I have allocated 12gb of RAM to my VM and thus the system still has 4gb of RAM for other activities.. The fact that I was able to work on Cloudera Manager (Enterprise Edition-trial ) for first few days without any hiccups what so ever baffles me as I am now unable to even open the console..
Topics: 0
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 27

Is your system low on memory? It could've been fine after you first set it up as there was plenty but over time with increased usage on it and on the host system those resources have dried up.

Have you checked that the Cloudera Manager service is still running and didn't hit an error?

sudo service cloudera-scm-server status

or if RHEL 7+

sudo systemctl status cloudera-scm-server
New Contributor

Thank you mbigelow.. I didn't load much data and since I have used it barely for a week,I am pretty sure the system wouldn't have created junk files that big in size.. ☹️
Topics: 0
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 27

Data loaded and file size is only one factor in the size of each services memory footprint. What is being done on the host can also affect the VM.

Anyway, whenever I have seen issues with connecting to CM on the Quickstart VM is typically because of the lack of available memory.

Have you reviewed the Cloudera Manager logs to see if it is reporting an error?
New Contributor

Thank you mbigelow for your assistance.. Somehow the problem is fixed now without I changing any settings or deleting any data.. Started VM after couple of days and everything works smooth.. Just hoping it doesn't gets back again in future..

Announcements