Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

VM not starting (Black screen)

Explorer

Hello,

I've installed Oracle VM VirtualBox and downloaded Cloudera quickstart 5.8.0-0. I'm still not able to lauch the VM desktop. I'm stuck at the blackscreen after the loading bar is down (see image below)

I've enable virtualization in BIOS, and tried different set up (Windows and Red Hat) but still it won't start. 

Any clue would be much appreciated!

VM Config:

Window 7 (64 bit) (I've try Red Hat as well, same issue)

Memory: 8192 Mo

CPU: 2

My Desktop is 16 ram and CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 3.30 GHz

Let me know if you need more information

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu

PS: Sorry, can't figure how to post an image. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Hi, me again !

So I've start again:

1. Redownloaded Quickstart VM using a download manager (chrono)

2. Used 7-zip to extract

Seem to work now 🙂

Thanks for your help Cjervis 😄

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Community Manager

Have you enabled virtualization as outlined in the common issues listed on the article I linked to?

1. VMWare and VirtualBox versions of the VM on Windows: In Windows machines, sometimes virtualization needs to be enabled in the BIOS.  Enabling virtualization in a PC is usually a step you take during boot up. As your system boots up, it will flash a message telling you to press a key (e.g. F1, F2, escape) to configure BIOS settings. If you have never run a VM on your laptop before, you will likely have to take this step.The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. Here is a VMware knowledge base article that may help: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 .

We suggest in the article to use the following method to install the VM for VirtualBox if you haven't done so already. 

"For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there."

It is also important to know the resources (processors, RAM, disk) of the system you are creating the VM on as well as how much of those resources are allocated to the VM. It is a common error to assign to many or too little of the resources to the VM which can cause issues.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer
I use a mac, so not sure what you mean by enabling the virtualization? I
followed all the steps (import appliance...etc), and after starting, I
can't pass the back screen shown in the screenshots I sent.
Can you advice on how to enable the virtualization? am I missing a final
step?

Community Manager

The Mac shouldn't have the issue but just to be sure you can go to the terminal application and enter

sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features

If VMX is listed in the results virtualization is indeed enabled. 

Can you share the specs on the Mac in terms of processors, RAM and Disk space as well as what was allocated to the VM?

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Explorer
I used the Mac OSHigh Sierra.
The processor 2.5 GHz intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Storage: Macintosh HD 438.4 GB available of 498.88
Memory; 4 GB installed (Memory slots of 2GB)

Thanks again for the help!
JNP

Explorer
I suspect 4 gig of ram if not enough to support the VM.

I think you need at least 4 on the VM, so 8 would be the minimum on your
computer to split 4-4.
I would recommend at least 16 though and put at least 8 gig to your VM

hope that help

Explorer
Thank you so very much! I changed it right away!

New Contributor
Can you please guide me to change the chipset type to ICH9

Community Manager

From the community knowledge article on how to setup the quickstart vm:

4. Some users have reported problems running CentOS 6.4 in VirtualBox. If a kernel panic occurs while the VirtualBox VM is booting, you can try working around this problem by opening the Settings > System > Motherboard tab, and selecting ICH9 instead of PIIX3 for the chip set. If you have not already done so, you must also enable I/O APIC on the same tab.