Kudos: 71
Solutions: 36

Re: VM not starting (Black screen)

Have you enabled virtualization as outlined in the common issues listed on the article I linked to?

1. VMWare and VirtualBox versions of the VM on Windows: In Windows machines, sometimes virtualization needs to be enabled in the BIOS.  Enabling virtualization in a PC is usually a step you take during boot up. As your system boots up, it will flash a message telling you to press a key (e.g. F1, F2, escape) to configure BIOS settings. If you have never run a VM on your laptop before, you will likely have to take this step.The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. Here is a VMware knowledge base article that may help: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 .

We suggest in the article to use the following method to install the VM for VirtualBox if you haven't done so already. 

"For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there."

It is also important to know the resources (processors, RAM, disk) of the system you are creating the VM on as well as how much of those resources are allocated to the VM. It is a common error to assign to many or too little of the resources to the VM which can cause issues.

Cy Jervis, Community Manager - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

JNP
New Contributor

I use a mac, so not sure what you mean by enabling the virtualization? I
followed all the steps (import appliance...etc), and after starting, I
can't pass the back screen shown in the screenshots I sent.
Can you advice on how to enable the virtualization? am I missing a final
step?
Kudos: 71
Solutions: 36

The Mac shouldn't have the issue but just to be sure you can go to the terminal application and enter

sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features

If VMX is listed in the results virtualization is indeed enabled. 

Can you share the specs on the Mac in terms of processors, RAM and Disk space as well as what was allocated to the VM?

Cy Jervis, Community Manager - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

JNP
New Contributor

I used the Mac OSHigh Sierra.
The processor 2.5 GHz intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Storage: Macintosh HD 438.4 GB available of 498.88
Memory; 4 GB installed (Memory slots of 2GB)

Thanks again for the help!
JNP
New Contributor

I suspect 4 gig of ram if not enough to support the VM.

I think you need at least 4 on the VM, so 8 would be the minimum on your
computer to split 4-4.
I would recommend at least 16 though and put at least 8 gig to your VM

hope that help
Highlighted
JNP
New Contributor

Thank you so very much! I changed it right away!
Announcements