Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.7.0-0-virtualbox not loading

New Contributor

Hi,

cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.7.0-0-virtualbox not loading: I get this error "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU"

though I have a x-86 64 bit processor (Intel Core i5-6300U CPU which is 64 bit)

Can anyone please help?

Regards,

Sanjeev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Community Manager

If you set up the VM manually, you may have accidentally selected a 32bit OS as several are available. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.36.57 AM.png

The easiest way to create the VM is outined in the Community Article How to setup Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine

Using the specific documentation and instructions provided by your hypervisor application, open the extracted file into that hypervisor application.
For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Community Manager

Welcome to the community @sanjeevn. Have you checked your operating system to ensure that it is 64bit as well?

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

New Contributor

Hi Jervis,

I am having a windows 10 64 bit OS.

-S

Community Manager

If you set up the VM manually, you may have accidentally selected a 32bit OS as several are available. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.36.57 AM.png

The easiest way to create the VM is outined in the Community Article How to setup Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine

Using the specific documentation and instructions provided by your hypervisor application, open the extracted file into that hypervisor application.
For example, if you elected to use VirtualBox, you would have downloaded and extracted a *.ovf file from Cloudera. Use the “File -> Import Appliance” menu inside VirtualBox to open your downloaded *.ovf file, or simply double-click on the file itself and VirtualBox should handle it from there.

New Contributor

This worked for me, Thanks a lot!

Community Manager

I am happy to hear that you are now up and running. Best of luck.