Finding a Hive table in Impala

by Community Manager on ‎06-19-2015 02:52 PM

Question

I am unable to find a table in Impala when running:

show tables

but it appears when running the same command in Hive. My other tables from Hive appear as expected. How do I find it? 

Answer

The Impala metadata may be out of date on the specific Impalad that the client is connecting to, so a recently created table will not show up. You will need to run the "invalidate metadata" command to cause that specific Impalad instance to fetch the updated metadata from the Hive MetaStore.

From the impala-shell, run the "invalidate metadata" command, followed by "show tables" again and verify that the expected table now appears in the output from the "show tables" command.

impala-shell -i <impalad-node>

[<impalad-node>:21000] > invalidate metadata

Successfully refreshed catalog

[<impalad-node>:21000] > show tables

This fetches the up to date table metadata from the Hive MetaStore for Impala to find the latest tables.

This "invalidate metadata" needs to be done only on the Impalad node that your client connects to / submits it's query to. 

Comments
by Champion Alumni
on ‎10-02-2015 07:03 AM

try to do this on each table that you have:

invalidate metadata TABLE_NAME

Sometimes

invalidate metadata

doesn't work as expected..

Alina GHERMAN 

by Community Manager
on ‎10-05-2015 12:22 PM

@AlinaGHERMAN thanks so much for the feedback.  Can you clarify what sometimes happens when "invalidate metadata" doesn't work as expected?  We would like to update the article with your response, if that's ok.

by Champion Alumni
on ‎10-06-2015 12:16 AM

For now, I'm not sure when the 

invalidate metadata

is not really refreshing the tables. But I will try to analyse all this and make a more precise answer.

Alina GHERMAN

Contributors
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article was generated by third-parties and not by Cloudera or it's personnel. Cloudera cannot guarantee its accuracy or efficacy. Cloudera disclaims all warranties of any kind and users of this information assume all risk associated with it and with following the advice or directions contained herein. By visiting this page, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of Site Usage , including all disclaimers and limitations contained therein.