Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Impala ODBC/JDBC bad performance - rows fetch is very slow from a remote server compared with NN

Master Collaborator

Hi,

In NameNode when I run the query via odbc script (php/perl or python), I can fetchAll results (9.2M) in a variable in about 30 seconds, but when I tried with the same script/query on another remote 2 servers, the execution time was in first server 28 min and in second 17 min.

To exclude the assuming that it's a network speed issue, I fetch the result on a file and then I copied it with scp command to the first remote server, and it finished in ~40 seconds.

What I observe in Query info in CM that there is a big different between the *Threads: Network Send Wait Time* values in the 3 queries :

in NN query: 9.40s
in 1st remote server: 16.7m
in 2nd remote server: 26.8m

And also I try an java script with Impala JDBC, but the results in NN are already not stimulate to continue.

But so far I cann't find where is the problem and how can I resolve it.

NB: I'm working on CDH 5.12.0/Impala 2.9.0, I installed Impala ODBC 2.5.37.1014.

Hope you can respode to me ASAP, because this issue is a realy an obstacle of using a cluster that we made a several months to make it.
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

Hi all,

Finaly and after almost 6 months I have found the solution!

It was always about my 1024 limitition remark, the row batch limitation was from BATCH_SIZE max value (1024), in the last versions (CDH 5.14/Impala 2.11) we have a new effective range is 1-65536.
1-1024: https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-12-x/topics/impala_batch_size.html
1-65536: https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-14-x/topics/impala_batch_size.html

So when I increase it throgh a odbc.ini with SSP_BATCH_SIZE I can benifit from increasing the other odbc parameters (RowsFetchedPerBlock / TSaslTransportBufSize) and the rows can be fetched in a seconds (~45 secs) instead of tens of minutes.

Remark: I have been recreated the cluster in 3 different server providers and tested the connections from almost 5 others with different ODBC/JDBC releases etc.. and always I have the same slowness until this update came.
I can not understand why I'm the only on declared this big issue and why no one can answer me, kowning that it's realy depressed to have a good quering engine but a veeeery slow fetch rows!

Any way, thanks all for your replies.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Super Guru
How big is the file? And if you scp the result file within the cluster, how long does it take?

This is to confirm if there are speed differences between within the cluster and across to the outside of cluster. If there is, how much different.

Master Collaborator

Thanks to your reply @EricL

I fetched same result of query on a file (about 500Mb), then I copied it with scp command to the first remote server, and it finished in ~40 seconds.

To elimine the probability that this issue is caused by a network speed, I have been copied the same results (9.2M) in a postgres table and test the fetchAll with postgres driver via unixODBC and it takes about 50 secs.

Super Guru
Hmm, For JDBC and ODBC drivers, there is a setting called RowsFetchedPerBlock, the default value is 10,000. For 9.2M rows, this back and forth might cause the delay. Can you try to increase this value to see if it can help?

See Doc below:
http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/other/connectors/impala-jdbc/latest/Cloudera-JDBC-Driver-for-I...

and search for RowsFetchedPerBlock.

Master Collaborator

Hi @EricL

I already increase the RowsFetchedPerBlock and also TSaslTransportBufSize and no improvement :'(
In Additionally, the test of ODBC with postgresql driver is runed with the same value of this proprieties and give a good results (50 secs).

Master Collaborator

Remark: I observe in ClouderaODBCDriverforImpala_connection_0.log file, that the PrepareTResultForDataRetrieval in the 2 cases repeats ~150 times, even if the RowsFetchedPerBlock is 10000 (it look like it fixed on 1024) !!!

Super Guru
Are you able to share the full PROFILE output of the query for review? That queries through OBDC driver?

Super Guru
Can you also share the ClouderaODBCDriverforImpala_connection_0.log file?

If PROFILE and log files are too big, are you able to share through Dropbox or other online tools? They should help us understand more on the issue.

Master Collaborator

Master Collaborator

Hi all,

Finaly and after almost 6 months I have found the solution!

It was always about my 1024 limitition remark, the row batch limitation was from BATCH_SIZE max value (1024), in the last versions (CDH 5.14/Impala 2.11) we have a new effective range is 1-65536.
1-1024: https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-12-x/topics/impala_batch_size.html
1-65536: https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-14-x/topics/impala_batch_size.html

So when I increase it throgh a odbc.ini with SSP_BATCH_SIZE I can benifit from increasing the other odbc parameters (RowsFetchedPerBlock / TSaslTransportBufSize) and the rows can be fetched in a seconds (~45 secs) instead of tens of minutes.

Remark: I have been recreated the cluster in 3 different server providers and tested the connections from almost 5 others with different ODBC/JDBC releases etc.. and always I have the same slowness until this update came.
I can not understand why I'm the only on declared this big issue and why no one can answer me, kowning that it's realy depressed to have a good quering engine but a veeeery slow fetch rows!

Any way, thanks all for your replies.