Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

updating table

Explorer

hello all,

Trying to update a  table where date_num is  a  date(timestamp) and "day" is the field i want to update but i am getting errors

Anyhting wrong with the query below?

update anp_catdidai1_working.dim_bsp_date

set day=day(date_num)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
UPDATE statement in Impala?

Are you using KUDU as the underlining table? If not, then UPDATE is not supported. Please refer to below link:

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/impala_update.html

"This statement only works for Impala tables that use the Kudu storage engine."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru
What's the error you are getting?

Have you tried to add ` around the day, since it is reserved as a UDF function? Like below:

update anp_catdidai1_working.dim_bsp_date set `day`=day(date_num);

Explorer

Hi EricL,

This is the error i get:

SQL Error [500051] [HY000]: [Simba][ImpalaJDBCDriver](500051) ERROR processing query/statement. Error Code: 0, SQL state: TStatus(statusCode:ERROR_STATUS, sqlState:HY000, errorMessage:AnalysisException: Syntax error in line 1:
update  anp_catdidai1_working.dim_bsp_date
^
Encountered: IDENTIFIER
Expected: ALTER, COMPUTE, CREATE, DESCRIBE, DROP, EXPLAIN, GRANT, INSERT, INVALIDATE, LOAD, REFRESH, REVOKE, SELECT, SET, SHOW, TRUNCATE, USE, VALUES, WITH

CAUSED BY: Exception: Syntax error
), Query: update  anp_catdidai1_working.dim_bsp_date
set day=day(date_num).
  [Simba][ImpalaJDBCDriver](500051) ERROR processing query/statement. Error Code: 0, SQL state: TStatus(statusCode:ERROR_STATUS, sqlState:HY000, errorMessage:AnalysisException: Syntax error in line 1:
^
Expected: ALTER, COMPUTE, CREATE, DESCRIBE, DROP, EXPLAIN, GRANT, INSERT, INVALIDATE, LOAD, REFRESH, REVOKE, SELECT, SET, SHOW, TRUNCATE, USE, VALUES, WITH

set day=day(date_num).
    com.cloudera.support.exceptions.GeneralException: [Simba][ImpalaJDBCDriver](500051) ERROR processing query/statement. Error Code: 0, SQL state: TStatus(statusCode:ERROR_STATUS, sqlState:HY000, errorMessage:AnalysisException: Syntax error in line 1:
^

set day=day(date_num).

I also  tried with 'day' and  same error

Super Guru
UPDATE statement in Impala?

Are you using KUDU as the underlining table? If not, then UPDATE is not supported. Please refer to below link:

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/impala_update.html

"This statement only works for Impala tables that use the Kudu storage engine."

Explorer

ah  i see.

That makes sense now. Thank you