Topics: 51
Kudos: 75
Solutions: 49

INTRODUCE YOURSELF: Please Reply here to tell us about you!

This is the thread for us all to get to know each other a little better.  Please reply to this topic with a quick introduction of yourself.  Include details like your background, what industry and job role you are in, what brings you to this community, what projects you are working on or planning, and any other interesting facts about you.

We encourage all our members to participate in this thread.  It can be a great place to make connections with other professionals, get ideas for new projects, or just enjoy a little downtime conversing with other big data practitioners.

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF: Please Reply here to tell us about you!

[ Edited ]

I'll kick this off with my own introduction.  My background is in UNIX systems administration, Java development, application support and enterprise software.  I had about 15 years of experience in a wide range of industries, public and private sectors, and even entrepreneurial endeavors when I joined Cloudera.

I joined Cloudera in 2011 as a support engineer (we call them Customer Operations Engineers) and worked for two years in that role, becoming our Hbase SME team lead before founding our online community and becoming Community Manager.  I couldn't be more excited about Cloudera, this community, and the places all of you smart people are taking Hadoop and big data!  In my opinion, "Big Data" is the best place I've ever been in my career and I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon Cloudera and Hadoop.

When I'm not working, I enjoy mountain biking and training for events like Triathlons and Tough Mudders.  I also stay very busy with my wife and kids, we love live music, camping, hiking, and dining out.  I play guitar to reduce stress and I like beer.  Especially local craft beers.  :-)

You can find me on LinkedIn and Twitter,  or simply direct message me here in the community.

Kudos: 67
Solutions: 34

While I don't have Clint's technical chops I do have some interesting experience in my work history before my career in online communities. I started working at the age of 14 and held many different jobs from amusement park gaming operator and Emergency Medical Technician to 911 Dispatch Supervisor. In 2011 I joined Dell and ran their IdeaStorm community which collected customer ideas to improve products, services and operations for the company.     

I joined Cloudera earlier this year as a Community Moderator and assist Clint with the community which has been growing by leaps and bounds. I have been impressed with the knowledge being shared on the community by those with all levels of experience. I look forward to getting to know many of you through our interactions here. 

On the more personal side, I describe myself as a tech addict as I typically am an early adopter of new technology. I enjoy movies, gaming, travel, watching sports and keeping up with the latest news on a variety of topics but my main hobby is digital photography.

You can find me on LinkedIn and Twitter or just send me a private message. 

Cy Jervis, Community Manager - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Visitor

I am a software engineering student at the IIT (International Institute of Technology , North-American University of Sfax,Tunisia) .

I will graduate in June 2016 (hopefully) . 

Currently , I am studying software engineering and data sciences . Through the intriductory courses , I understood how to manipulate data and extract

optimized predictions to help in making decisions . After studying the data mining course , I felt very passionate about data engineering and decided
to pursue my career as a big data software engineer .

That' s why I joined the Cloudera community to learn about Hadoop  big data using my favourite programming language : JAVA .

I like swimming , playing card games , playing soccer computer games and watching comedy films .

You can find me on LinkedIn .

Kudos: 67
Solutions: 34

Welcome to the community BigDev and best of luck with your studies. :)

Cy Jervis, Community Manager - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Welcome! Thanks for joining our community!
Explorer

So glad to join this Cloudera Community. I am big fan of Hadoop.

1. I have been working at IT field for last over 20 years, however, I am basically a Oracle developer, dev and prod DBA. Worked for few banks, like Wellsfargo, Citigroup, Worldbank etc. and Apple Inc. Currently I am working on a Ericsson/Tmobile project and setup Oracle RAC 11gr2, Data Guard, Golden Gate 12c etc.

2. I got my CDH4 administrator and developer certificate in 2013 and practice since.  Right now, I like to complete Cloudera Manager installation on AWS/EC2. and need use pig, hive and hbase for another potential projects.

3. I found some good tutorials online, and followed up. Anyhow, AWS/EC2 and Cloudera Manager are not easy get alone. Especially the hosts file. I am still working on it and need tips or samples of /etc/hosts file for this install.

4. Hiking, swimming, cooking and weightlifting are my routine. I do some oil paintings and fix my house like a handyman. I have finished 4 marathon in 10 years.

Please help, Looing forward to having more a lots info from this community.

My name is Robin Dong, base in San Jose, work all over US. like to be Big Data consultant in next few years.

Thanks for joining our community, Robin!  Wow, you have quiet an impressive skill set and stay very active!  4 marathons, wow!  Congrats and welcome.   We're glad to have you.

Explorer

Thanks you, I am happy to have support from Cloudera community now.
I am waiting for help on my puzzle here.
AWS/EC2 and Cloudera Manager installation is stopped by /etc/hosts file. I like to see some real example of /etc/hosts for Cloudera on AWS/EC2. Can any one help.
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am working as a software engineer for the past 2.5 years, Basically i am .NET & SQL developer, one of our important client request for BigData solution for processing more than 100 Million CSV records, so i entered into Big data world (REALLY BIG WORLD) for past 6 months, I am still learning like student :)

I have done researching big data solution such as MongoDB (completely different platform than .NET & SQL), Google BigQuery (Excellent speed and output, easy to learn because SQL like queries, But costly). Once we are entered into BIG data world we can't able to skip the Hadoop. so i am working for past 3 months in hadoop tools (Hue, Hive, HBase, PIG, JAVA Map-Reduce etc...).

Initially i am really struggled to survive in hadoop environment (New tools including JAVA) but now i am really happy to here (community) i am learning as well as waiting for the big future too.

I am very passionate to playing chess learning form my DAD, now i am spending lots of time to play online chess in (Chess.com) apart from my job, i am not at all best i am still learning. :)

Thanks
Selvakumar S (Software Engineer)
Announcements