New Contributor

HDFS | ACL entries

Hi Members,

I want to understand how does ACL entries being counted over an hdfs path?

I am asking this question as I have encountered a problem of Invalid ACL entry, reaching max limit of 32.

Regards,

Giriraj

Topics: 3
Kudos: 79
Solutions: 50

Re: HDFS | ACL entries

I didn't not know there was a max or how it was counted. It include the access and default ACLs. From what I can tell access ACLs are the ones applied directly, think rwx. And defaults are the ones you set to be inherited as well as the existing defaults. So without any new ACL entries a new file or folder would start with 6 entries, one for the owner, the user, and the group, along with the defaults for each.

Here is a JIRA to allow 32 for both access and default effectively increasing the max to 64.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-7582
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

And what if we dont keep defalut ACLs, is it going to impact permissions in anyway?

Topics: 3
Kudos: 79
Solutions: 50

Well, I don't think you can get ride of the owner, group, and other defaults. The impact, though, is that all new files and permissions would not match the parent. So to keep it correct you would need to constantly apply the permissions all the time.

It is worth the exercise of examining what you currently have and plan on in the future to see if user and groups ACLs can be re-aligned to reduce the number needed.
Announcements