Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to create table in Accumulo

Explorer
Hi All,
I am having a problem.please help me. 
I am able to use some of the features of the accumulo shell

I can't create or delete a table without getting the following error:

[impl.ThriftTransportPool] WARN: Thread "shell" stuck on io to x.x.x.x:9999:9999 (0) for at least 120040 ms

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi!

The problem you are getting is a known limitation of Accumulo on small clusters. By default Accumulo attempts to use a replication factor of 5 for the metadata table, ignoring the "table.file.replication" setting. Normally, Cloudera Manager does not set a max replication factor. This causes under-replication warnings until you can correct either the number of nodes or manually adjust the replication setting on that table.

In your cluster, it appears the "dfs.replication.max" setting has been adjusted to match your number of cluster nodes. This is causing Accumulo's attempts to create new files for its internal tables to fail.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure this can be fixed without data loss. However, to recover you should first edit the "dfs.replication.max" setting for HDFS to be >= 5. Then you should adjust the replication on the metadata and root tables to be <= your number of DataNodes. After that it should be safe to lower dfs.replication.max again.

Adjust the replication in the accumulo shell:

$> config -t accumulo.metadata -s table.file.replication=3
$> config -t accumulo.root -s table.file.replication=3

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Contributor

Hi NSU,

If you navigate to the Monitor web page, do you see any messages under "recent logs"?

Alternatively, are there any ERROR or WARN messages in the tablet server logs?

Mike

Explorer

Thank you for reply. Here I am seeing errors / warnings in logs file.

18 22:56:44,0217tserver:DN248
WARN
System swappiness setting is greater than ten (60) which can cause time-sensitive operations to be delayed.  Accumulo is time sensitive because it needs to maintain distributed lock agreement.
18 22:56:46,0982gc:DN148
WARN
System swappiness setting is greater than ten (60) which can cause time-sensitive operations to be delayed.  Accumulo is time sensitive because it needs to maintain distributed lock agreement.
18 22:56:49,0061master:DN148
WARN
18 22:56:51,0503tserver:master48
WARN
18 23:03:38,0935tserver:DN2103
ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.io.IOException): file /accumulo/tables/+r/root_tablet/F00000rq.rf_tmp on client xx.xx.xx.xx.
Requested replication 5 exceeds maximum 3
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager.verifyReplication(BlockManager.java:942)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInt(FSNamesystem.java:2216)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFile(FSNamesystem.java:2188)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.create(NameNodeRpcServer.java:505)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.create(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:354)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:585)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:1026)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1986)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1982)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1554)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:1980)

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.io.IOException): file /accumulo/tables/+r/root_tablet/F00000rq.rf_tmp on client xx.xx.xx.xx.
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager.verifyReplication(BlockManager.java:942)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInt(FSNamesystem.java:2216)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFile(FSNamesystem.java:2188)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.create(NameNodeRpcServer.java:505)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.create(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:354)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
		at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:585)
		at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1554)

at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1409)
		at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1362)
		at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:206)
		at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy14.create(Unknown Source)
		at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor8.invoke(Unknown Source)
		at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
		at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
		at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invokeMethod(RetryInvocationHandler.java:186)
		at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:102)
		at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy14.create(Unknown Source)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.create(ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.java:258)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSOutputStream.newStreamForCreate(DFSOutputStream.java:1599)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.create(DFSClient.java:1461)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.create(DFSClient.java:1386)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem$6.doCall(DistributedFileSystem.java:394)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem$6.doCall(DistributedFileSystem.java:390)
		at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystemLinkResolver.resolve(FileSystemLinkResolver.java:81)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.create(DistributedFileSystem.java:390)
		at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.create(DistributedFileSystem.java:334)
		at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.create(FileSystem.java:906)
		at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.create(FileSystem.java:887)
		at org.apache.accumulo.core.file.rfile.RFileOperations.openWriter(RFileOperations.java:126)
		at org.apache.accumulo.core.file.rfile.RFileOperations.openWriter(RFileOperations.java:106)
		at org.apache.accumulo.core.file.DispatchingFileFactory.openWriter(FileOperations.java:80)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.Compactor.call(Compactor.java:340)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.MinorCompactor.call(MinorCompactor.java:96)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.Tablet.minorCompact(Tablet.java:2045)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.Tablet.access$4300(Tablet.java:170)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.Tablet$MinorCompactionTask.run(Tablet.java:2132)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.Tablet.minorCompactNow(Tablet.java:2238)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.TabletServer$AssignmentHandler.run(TabletServer.java:2922)
		at org.apache.accumulo.core.util.LoggingRunnable.run(LoggingRunnable.java:34)
		at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.TabletServer$ThriftClientHandler$3.run(TabletServer.java:2277)
18 23:03:38,0937tserver:DN2103
WARN
MinC failed (file /accumulo/tables/+r/root_tablet/F00000rq.rf_tmp on client xx.xx.xx.xx.
) to create hdfs://DN1:8020/accumulo/tables/+r/root_tablet/F00000rq.rf_tmp retrying ...

Contributor

Thanks for sharing those logs, that is very helpful.

Just to confirm, which versions of Accumulo and CDH are yo using? Also, if you are using Cloudera Manager, which version of that?

Explorer

I am using following versions

for Accumulo -1.6

CDH -5

Cloudera Manager - 5.1

Thank you for response.

Explorer

Hi,

following are some logs,I am seeing in per-Table problem report.

accumulo.rootFILE_WRITExx.xx.xx2014/08/18 13:21:33 EDThdfs://DN1:8020/accumulo/tables/+r/root_tablet/F00000e9.rf_tmpfile /accumulo/tables/+r/root_tablet/F00000e9.rf_tmp on client xx.xx.xx. Requested replication 5 exceeds maximum 2 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager.verifyReplication(BlockManager.java:942) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInt(FSNamesystem.java:2216) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFile(FSNamesystem.java:2188) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.create(NameNodeRpcServer.java:505) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.create(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:354) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:585) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:1026) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1986) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1982) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415) at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1554) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:1980)

Thank you for response.
Please help me.

Contributor

Hi NSU,

A couple more questions about your configuration. I think I've identified the issue and am working on a solution for you.

I would like to make sure that you used Cloudera Manager to initialize Accumulo. Please confirm that this is the case.

Are you using a single node cluster? If not, how many hosts do you have? An order of magnitude is fine if you do not have the exact number available.

Thanks,

Mike

Explorer
Hi Mr.Mike,

I did used the Cloudera Manager to initialize Accumulo.

I am using Three nodes cluster.

Thanks,
Ms.Ramya

Contributor

Can you give me some description of the layout of the roles on your three nodes?

I expect that it is NameNode on one, Accumulo Master on the second, and DataNode + Tablet Server on the third. Is this correct?

Explorer
I am attaching the roles running on the each of node as a reference.

I named my Nodes as: Master,DN1,DN2.

Following are roles on my three clustered nodes:

Roles

Master: Tablet server[Accumulo],

Data Node,

Node Manger[Yarn],

server[ZooKeeper]

DN1: Garbage Collector[Accumulo],

Master[Accumulo],

Monitor[Accumulo],

Tracer[Accumulo],

NameNode,