Explorer

You are a Hue admin but not a HDFS superuser

My sqoop import job completes, but the data directory it should create doesn't get created.  Instead, I see this message in the logs:

You are a Hue admin but not a HDFS superuser

I am a Hue 'SuperUser' when I run the sqoop job. Could anyone please tell me how to acquire this additional permission?

Thanks,

ws
Explorer

Re: You are a Hue admin but not a HDFS superuser

Anyone?

Explorer

Hi Warren,

How are you doing today?  HUE has its own set of users that are not equivilent to HDFS permissions.  If you are logged in as "SuperUser" but your HDFS FS is owned by HDFS:HDFS then SuperUser cannot write to the FS.  I would recommend running a chown to add SuperUser or add SuperUser to the group ownership.  

New Contributor

Hi Warren and Kevin,

I solved this by adding hdfs user to Hue (just name new user as hdfs). Than when I need to make some folder i just logon as hdfs user in Hue.

Explorer

Thanks for the reply Kevin.  I'll a little new around here, so I was hoping you could provide some additional details.  You recommend adding SuperUser to the group that owns that part of the filesystem (correct?). Two questions please:

1.  Is this from the command line, or is there a Hue UI that lets me do this?

2.  If it's the command line, I can handle the chown, but where would I find the HDFS filesystem on my 3 nodes?

With thanks in advance,

ws

Explorer

Hi Warren,

Not a problem. Hadoop will leverage local user and groups on the Linux box.

1.) The chown would be from the CLI.  You would run hadoop fs -ls / to make sure you have the right FS.  Then you can run hadoop fs -chown -R user:group /  This will set the FS to be owned by the user of your choice

2.) I believe I answered this is 1.) but hadoop fs will allow you to execute your commands.  The hadoop FS sits ontop of the local FS so you need to execute the hadoop commands to get to it.

Explorer

Thanks Kevin.  I've been messing around with $ hadoop fs -chmod / -chown and can get things to work, albeit in a clumsy way.

Just an observation:  I did a clean Cloudera install on a 3-node cluster and immediately tried to import some SQL server tables to play with.  I initially got hung up trying to figure out where to put the Sqoop driver for MS SQL.  Once I finally got that working (thanks Abe), I spent another week trying to get sqoop to write the data to hdfs (stopped by permissions, and thank you Kevin).  This is the default Cloudera configuration - can't talk to MS SQL, and sqoop won't work.  Not the most convenient setup for a stock install. 

New Contributor

Hello ,

This is a very late reply but just replying if some one gets the same issue. 

I applied the same logic which Kevin mentioned 

Lets assume your user name is "y", provide the below commands in your terminal.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /user/y/

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chown y:y /user/y/

Thanks

Suraj

Announcements