Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error "Could not connect to quickstart.cloudera:10000" displayed in Hive Editor

New Contributor

I downloaded the Cloudera QuickStart VM v.5.5. a couple of days ago.

It seems to work fine except that when I navigated to the Hive Editor, I see the message:

Could not connect to quickstart.cloudera:10000

(I am logged in as the user "cloudera"; this VM is running on a Win 7 host)

So I checked the current configuration of the VM (by clicking on the Hue icon in the upper left corner) and I see these messages (which may be related) under the "Step 1: Check configuration" tab:

Configuration files located in /etc/hue/conf.empty

Potential misconfiguration detected. Fix and restart Hue.

hadoop.hdfs_clusters.default.webhdfs_url Current value: http://localhost:50070/webhdfs/v1
Failed to create temporary file "/tmp/hue_config_validation.9867056700988081108"
Hive Editor The application won't work without a running HiveServer2.

If I click to install the "Hive Editor" under the "Check 2: Examples tab", I get this error:

...Could not connect to quickstart.cloudera:10000 (code THRIFTTRANSPORT): TTransportException...

The messages seems to imply that HiveServer2 is not running, but executing below two lines in the command window...

sudo service hive-server2 stop

sudo service hive-server2 start

...gives me the below messages but does not resolve the problem:

Stopped Hive Server2:                                      [  OK  ]

Started Hive Server2 (hive-server2):                       [  OK  ]

So I took a look at the "hue.ini" file located in /etc/hue/conf.empty; the configuration settings for hive connectivity (under the [beeswax] section) are:

hive_server_host=quickstart.cloudera
  hive_server_port=10000

Above seemed correct (considering that the Firefox browser on this VM is able to connect to Hue through the socket "quickstart.cloudera:8888").

However trying to connect by executing these lines in a command window...

/usr/lib/hive/bin/beeline

!connect jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000 hive cloudera org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver

(The "hive"/"cloudera" credentials are taken from hive-site.xml)

...gives me the error:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (state=08S01,code=0)

It looks like the reason for the error is that nothing is listening on port 10000, as at least the command...

sudo netstat -tulp | grep :100

...does not show anything listening on port 10000.

Any thoughts on how to solve this issue?

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru
sudo service hive-server2 status

Will tell you if HS2 is alive, it is probably crashing for some reasons,
you can look at its logs in /var/log/hive?

i have similar situation. will say me the other commands thats checks all failed system? tahnk you

New Contributor

sudo service hive-server2 restart

fixed it for me

Explorer

Can you give us the logs of the HDFS health issues?

New Contributor
I just run into the same issue on ContOS6, but the problem is that when running CDH 5.12 on CentOS 6.7, everything seemed to be alright, until I run "sudo yum update" and got CentOS 6.9 and everything else. When checking hive and hue, they were running properly "sudo service hue status" and "sudo service hive-server2 status". So, as a result, the update have issues if you came across the same. Now I stick on CentOS 6.7 no more updates.