Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

IndexOutOfBoundsException - Impala sidebar in Hue (CDH Enterprise 5.12.0)

Explorer

Hello.

We have updated our CDH to 5.12.0 (from 5.7.0) and we are getting an error when Hue tries to load the table names in Impala query editor's sidebar.

The error shown in Hue: IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 11, Size: 11

And in the logs we are getting: 

==> runcpserver.log <==
[11/Aug/2017 14:17:36 +0200] access INFO 169.61.102.137 <username> - "POST /notebook/api/autocomplete/default HTTP/1.1"

[11/Aug/2017 14:17:36 +0200] thrift_util WARNING Unable to unpack the secret and guid in Thrift Handle.

[11/Aug/2017 14:17:36 +0200] api WARNING Autocomplete data fetching error: Bad status for request TGetTablesReq(schemaName=u'default', sessionHandle=TSessionHandle(sessionId=THandleIdentifier(secret="\xc7\x19T\x82x [...]", guid='\xd1\x81\x005>\rN\xc7\xbf [...]')), tableName=None, tableTypes=['TABLE', 'VIEW', 'EXTERNAL_TABLE'], catalogName=None):

TGetTablesResp(status=TStatus(errorCode=None, errorMessage='IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 11, Size: 11\n', sqlState='HY000', infoMessages=None, statusCode=3), operationHandle=TOperationHandle(hasResultSet=False, modifiedRowCount=None, operationType=4, operationId=THandleIdentifier(secret='', guid='')))

From Hive's query editor, there is no issue. Also, if we refresh the list using the option "Invalidate all metadata and rebuild index", it shows the tables of that database, but when we switch to a different database and get back to the one that was working, we get the same message. 

Seems like we don't have any issue so far, the queries to Impala are running fine.

I feel like is an issue with the backend, but we couldn't find any more useful logs. The backend we are using is Oracle.

Do you have any tip or any clue about where this could come from?

Thank you. Regards!

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru
This is actually coming from Impala
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-5579

Fixed in 5.12.1.

Sometimes doing an invalidate metadata on the table might fix the DB listing

Explorer

Hello @Romainr, thanks for your answer.

The issue you spotted seems like the same we could have. Do you know how we can identify which table is "skipped" and why this happens?

Maybe we can drop, rebuild or fix that table to fix the issue while 5.12.1 is released. Doing a full "invalidate metadata" didn't fix the issue.

Regards.

Super Guru
You could try

INVALIDATE METADATA table1;

and finding it via Hive Editor.

Or creating a new table maybe.

But I don't have an exact step to fix it currently.

Explorer

I think I spotted one table that may be skipped:

show column stats <table>

• AnalysisException: Failed to load metadata for table: <table>CAUSED BY: InvalidStorageDescriptorException: Impala does not support tables of this type. REASON: SerDe library 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.OpenCSVSerde' is not supported. CAUSED BY: TableLoadingException: Failed to load metadata for table: <table>CAUSED BY: InvalidStorageDescriptorException: Impala does not support tables of this type. REASON: SerDe library 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.OpenCSVSerde' is not supported.

If that's actually the issue, we can't temporary fix it until 5.12.1 is released. Is there an ETA?

Regards.

New Contributor
Hello,

We have the exact same issue. I would be also interested to know when you're planning 5.12.1 release. Is there a roadmap for minor/major releases?

Thank you!