Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Oozie coordinator editor - problems with using datasets.

Contributor

Hue 2.3.0 is the version I am using.  I tried to scan the list of fixes in Hue 2.4.0 but no luck. 

I am trying create an oozie coordinator which has date as output.  I see a list of datasets I previously created when in "Step 4: output - SHOWING EXISTING".  So I added one like

name:dateYYYYMMDD  dataset: DT    which should uri as ${YEAR}${MONTH}${DAY}

and saved coordinator.  

Strange thing is that although I see "dateYYYYMMDD -> DT" as output.  I DON'T see PATH for it.  I still seesthe message "There are currently no defined outputs.". 

If I try to submit now, a box popup asking me to fill in "dateYYYYMMDD". But that is DT and is defined. 

If I went off to another tab say: work flow editor and come back to this coordinator, Step 4: output shows empty.  It seems the output was never added in the first place. 

Another problem which is minor is that in SHOW EXISTING DATASET, the delete does not work for me.  I can delete some datasets and save coordinator, go to another tab (Workflows), come back to list existing datasets, they are still there. 

To sum up, I have faced with 3 problems: 

1  adding/deleting input/output dataset does not stick.  It seems "save coordinator" did not update the databse properly.

2. input/output datasets don't have PATH shown (The sample output REDUCER_SLEEP_TIME) shows PATH. So I think the PATH is expected to show. 

3. "delete" action on show existing datasets does not stick. The deletion can't be saved.

Anyone experiencing these problems?  I am bit suprised that I would not find much hits when googling these problems.  Is this because Hue 2.3.0 or not enough people adapted to Hue for oozie scheduling?  Is there better GUI alternatives?

Please let me know if these problems do have fixes in Hue 2.4.0.  GUI is nice to use and easy for other to see, but I am starting to thinking I am only one of a few who is using this. Perhaps I should wait for a future release.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

It seems Hue 2.5.0 has fixed the problem.  Chrome works the same as FireFox. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Expert Contributor

A search on https://issues.cloudera.org/secure/QuickSearch.jspa for 

"Oozie coordinator editor - problems with using datasets"

lists several issues. Does any of those apply?

Contributor

Unfortunately, non of issues describe what I am experiencing. 

Super Guru

Hi, so I could not reproduce 1, 2, 3 and these are unknown issues so far. I am using Hue 2.5 and master.

Are you sure that you are clicking on the 'Save' button on Step 4 or below the existing datasets for #3?

Contributor

I am using Hue 2.3 and I am sure I clicked on "save" after adding outputs.  There are the screenshots:

1. Started with no outputs

Hue 1.png

2. Just pick the dataset, but has not clicked on save

Hue2.png

3. After click on save at the bottom of Step 4, I was brought back to Step 1, so I navigated back to step 4, and this is what I see: (please note the message in red) 

Hue3.png

If I click on Save coordinator here, I am brought to step 1, navigate back to step 4, show the same pick above

4. If I click on submit, popup box appears and asking to input dateYYYYMMDD.

Hue4.png

5. When canceled out and relist coordinators, I get the following showing the a old last updated time

Hue5.png

Screen 1 has the message in red saying no outputs defined. As soon as I click on Add, the message disappeared. So screen 3 shows both red message that no outputs defined and the output I just defined and saved which might also be a symptom of something went wrong. 

Again, I am not using Hue 2.5. I am still on Hue 2.3 which is the latest package distributed via CM. 

Contributor

For the general public cloudera manager deployment .... CDH 4.3.1 which was just pushed out .... Hue version is 2.3.

It seems I will have to wait till CDH4.4.0 to have Hue 2.5.  I don't know what time frame that is. 

In the mean-time, Hue 2.3 is not usable to me due to the problems described here. Could someone who has Hue 2.3 give this a try and see if this is reproducable or is it just me? 

I have a test cluster which is just installed with latest CM and CDH (everything default), and this problem is there.  

Thanks.

Super Guru

CDH4.4 should com-up early September (i.e. in 1-2 weeks).

We have users using coordinators in CDH4.3 (cf Hue group http://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/hue-user).

Could you share the generated XML of the coordinator?

Contributor

The issue I am facing is Hue GUI does not save the following changes to the database in my case is the default sqlite3.  

1. When showing a list of existing dataset, the [delete] action does not delete the dataset from database, [save coordinator] action does not do it neither.  Table I am tracking for this is oozie_dataset.

2. Define input/output for a coordinator, [save coordinator] is the only action I can take, oozie_datainput and oozie_dataoutput does change. 

So I think the problem is GUI related. 

Well, since it is not too long a wait till Hue 2.5, I will try it again.  Perhaps I should not be using sqlite3, but I thought that is the default for Hue developers, I should have better chance with it than starting with an external database like mysql. 

Anyhow, I am still surprise I am the only one who is complaining about this. 

Super Guru

Your setup is probably broken. What browser are you using? Di you use Chrome?

Could you try to save a change and then share the logs when you go on hue:8888/logs?

What is the generated XML when you submit the coordinator?

Contributor

The browse choice made a difference.. What does not work in Chrome is working in Firefox.  Thanks romain.

Is there some setup in Chrome that I need to do to get this to work in Chrome?