New Contributor

PAM authentication doesn't work between Hue and HiveServer2 via Beeswax

Hi,

I'm working on a CDH 5.4-Cluster managed by Cloudera Manager. I've enabled PAM authentication on HiveServer2 and Hue, which works fine for both of them independently.

The connection from Hue to Hive via Beeswax doesn't work anymore however. I gather that Beeswax needs to be pointed to the updated hive-site.xml, to be made aware of the customised security settings for Hive. Both Hive and Hue are running on the same server but the hive-site.xml that CM generates/copies into Hue's hive-conf folder does not contain the authentication settings.

As a quick workaround I've tried setting hive_conf_dir to a static path by inserting the following line into the Hue server safety valve in CM.

[beeswax] hive_conf_dir=/tmp/hive-conf

Even this doesn't change the hive-site.xml that Hue refers to after a restart though. Overriding the environment variable HIVE_CONF_DIR doesn't do the trick either. I just can't find a way to make Hue/Beeswax pick up the changed Hive settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jasper

Cloudera Employee

Re: PAM authentication doesn't work between Hue and HiveServer2 via Beeswax

New Contributor

Just to clear this up, it looks like the communication between Hive and Hue using PAM authentication is simply not supported, so I gave up on it and am using LDAP instead.

Highlighted
Explorer

Hello @Romainr

I am using HUE 3.12 with Hive 1.2.

I have PAM authentication enabled for Hiveserver2.

I am sucessfully able to login using beeline but in HUE the databases does not load.

Announcements