Welcome to the Cloudera Community

Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Who agreed with this topic

Hive Metastore fails to start for a newly installed cluster.

Explorer

I have a 3 node test cluster, where I have deployed Cloudera 5.11.1.

Other details: Java Version: 1.8.0_112, CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611

Now, all the services are up and running except for Hive- Hive Metastore, and which in turn results for Impala's bad health. The major issue is that the Hive metastore is not coming up and throws the below error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getObjectCount(ObjectStore.java:1091)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getTableCount(ObjectStore.java:1069)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RawStoreProxy.invoke(RawStoreProxy.java:103)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy7.getTableCount(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.updateMetrics(HiveMetaStore.java:6244)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.init(HiveMetaStore.java:528)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.<init>(RetryingHMSHandler.java:78)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.getProxy(RetryingHMSHandler.java:84)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.newRetryingHMSHandler(HiveMetaStore.java:6280)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.newRetryingHMSHandler(HiveMetaStore.java:6275)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.startMetaStore(HiveMetaStore.java:6525)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.main(HiveMetaStore.java:6452)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

On further investigating the logs, I found the message as below:

Can't open /run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/218-hive-HIVEMETASTORE/config.zip: Permission denied.
Can't open /run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/218-hive-HIVEMETASTORE/proc.json: Permission denied.

I had the same issue with Impala and I was able to resolve this, but for Hive it doesn't work.

Anyone faced the same issue and got this fixed or has any idea about the issue..

Who agreed with this topic