Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Who agreed with this topic

Help connecting to Impala through impala-shell and jdbc in Kerberos/LDAP cluster

Expert Contributor

Hello everybody

I am working on a CDH 5.13.2 cluster configured with Kerberos and LDAP authentication.

I need to connect to Impala thorugh jdbc and impala-shell, but I am having problems on both (Impala queries on HUE work fine).

For impala-shell I've tried:

impala-shell -k -i trwor-b9a4f2a7.azcloud.local

--->

Starting Impala Shell using Kerberos authentication
Using service name 'impala'
Error connecting: TTransportException, TSocket read 0 bytes
***********************************************************************************
Welcome to the Impala shell.
(Impala Shell v2.10.0-cdh5.13.2 (dc867db) built on Fri Feb 2 10:46:38 PST 2018)

I've also tried without Kerberos:

impala-shell -i trwor-b9a4f2a7.azcloud.local

--->

Starting Impala Shell without Kerberos authentication
Kerberos ticket found in the credentials cache, retrying the connection with a secure transport.
***********************************************************************************
Welcome to the Impala shell.
(Impala Shell v2.10.0-cdh5.13.2 (dc867db) built on Fri Feb 2 10:46:38 PST 2018)

In both cases I got a TTransportException.

I am having trouble also for connecting to Impala through jdbc (using Cloudera_ImpalaJDBC4_2.5.5.1007 driver):

String impalaConnectionUrl = "jdbc:impala://trwor-dafb587f.azcloud.local:21050;AuthMech=1;KrbRealm=AZCLOUD.LOCAL;KrbHostFQDN=trwor-dafb587f.azcloud.local;KrbServiceName=impala";

try {
            Connection impalaConn = DriverManager.getConnection(impalaConnectionUrl);
            [...]
        }
        catch (SQLEception ex) {
            [...]
        }

---->

java.sql.SQLException: [Simba][ImpalaJDBCDriver](500310) Invalid operation: Unable to connect to server:;
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory.createTransport(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:224)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory.createClient(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:52)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.core.HiveJDBCConnection.connect(HiveJDBCConnection.java:597)
at com.cloudera.impala.jdbc.common.BaseConnectionFactory.doConnect(BaseConnectionFactory.java:219)
at com.cloudera.impala.jdbc.common.AbstractDriver.connect(AbstractDriver.java:216)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:571)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:233)
at ico.az.deploy.TestSuite.testTeradata(TestSuite.java:98)
at ico.az.deploy.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:311)
Caused by: com.cloudera.impala.support.exceptions.GeneralException: [Simba][ImpalaJDBCDriver](500310) Invalid operation: Unable to connect to server:;
... 9 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to connect to server:
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory$1.run(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:150)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory$1.run(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:141)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:356)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory.createTransport(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:140)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory.createClient(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:52)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.core.HiveJDBCConnection.connect(HiveJDBCConnection.java:597)
at com.cloudera.impala.jdbc.common.BaseConnectionFactory.doConnect(BaseConnectionFactory.java:219)
at com.cloudera.impala.jdbc.common.AbstractDriver.connect(AbstractDriver.java:216)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:571)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:233)
at ico.az.deploy.TestSuite.testTeradata(TestSuite.java:98)
at ico.az.deploy.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:311)
at ico.az.deploy.TestSuite.main(TestSuite.java:347)
Caused by: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:132)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:84)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.receiveSaslMessage(TSaslTransport.java:178)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.open(TSaslTransport.java:258)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslClientTransport.open(TSaslClientTransport.java:37)
at com.cloudera.impala.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory$1.run(HiveServer2ClientFactory.java:146)
... 13 more

Regarding connection string parameters:

• hostname : the host name where is running an Impala daemon, I took this one from Cloudera Manager->Impala->Instances->Impala daemon (there is one deamon running in each worker node, thus I've just choosen the first one).
  • port : taken from Impala Daemon HiveServer2 Port property property in the Impala Configuration.
  • AuthMech : according to the jdbc driver documentation 1 is for Kerberos authentication.
  • KrbRealm : I took this one from the param default_realm in the /etc/krb5.conf file on the edge node, is this correct?
  • KrbHostFQDN : same as Impala daemon hostname, correct?
  • KrbServiceName : should be "impala" the default, and it is also the nameof  Impala Kerberos Principal on the CM, correct?

These are the relevant properties I found on the Cloudera Manager (read only access) for Impala and Kerberos:

snp2.png

I am trying Kerberos authentication because it seems LDAP authentication is disabled for Impala:

snp1.png

What am I doing wrong?

Who agreed with this topic