Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not able to append records to table using df.write.saveAsTable()

I am not able to append records to a table using the follwing command :-

df.write.saveAsTable("table")

df.write.saveAsTable("table",mode="append")

error:- IllegalArgumentException: 'Expected only one path to be specified but got : '

4 REPLIES 4

Master Collaborator

I think you mean something like df.write.mode(SaveMode.Overwrite).saveAsTable(...) ? Depends on what language this is.

I am using pyspark

df.write.saveAsTable(name="table",mode="append")

New Contributor

I have the exact same problem.

Spark 2.2.0.cloudera1.

Can you please tell me what's wrong with this code?

It's the easiest Java version of the example code in Spark's Javadoc example (here).

The code:

List<Row> rows = new ArrayList<>();

Object[] cols = new Object[2]; cols[0] = "one"; cols[1] = 1;

rows.add(RowFactory.create(cols));

spark.createDataFrame(rows, st).write().format("parquet").mode(SaveMode.Overwrite).saveAsTable("my_scheme.my_table");

rows = new ArrayList<>();

cols[0] = "two"; cols[1] = 2;

rows.add(RowFactory.create(cols));

spark.createDataFrame(rows, st).write().format("parquet").mode(SaveMode.Append).saveAsTable("my_scheme.my_table");

The error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Expected exactly one path to be specified, but got:

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.writeInFileFormat(DataSource.scala:410)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.writeAndRead(DataSource.scala:454)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.CreateDataSourceTableAsSelectCommand.saveDataIntoTable(createDataSourceTables.scala:198)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.CreateDataSourceTableAsSelectCommand.run(createDataSourceTables.scala:148)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.sideEffectResult$lzycompute(commands.scala:58)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.sideEffectResult(commands.scala:56)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.doExecute(commands.scala:74)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SparkPlan$$anonfun$execute$1.apply(SparkPlan.scala:117)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SparkPlan$$anonfun$execute$1.apply(SparkPlan.scala:117)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SparkPlan$$anonfun$executeQuery$1.apply(SparkPlan.scala:138)

at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:151)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SparkPlan.executeQuery(SparkPlan.scala:135)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SparkPlan.execute(SparkPlan.scala:116)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.toRdd$lzycompute(QueryExecution.scala:92)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.toRdd(QueryExecution.scala:92)

at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameWriter.runCommand(DataFrameWriter.scala:610)

at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameWriter.createTable(DataFrameWriter.scala:420)

at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameWriter.saveAsTable(DataFrameWriter.scala:399)

at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameWriter.saveAsTable(DataFrameWriter.scala:354)

New Contributor

Had trouble with this as well, but removing the ".mode(...)" actually worked, AND it appended.

spark.read.parquet("/path/to/parq1.parq","/path/to/parq2.parq").coalesce(1).write.format("parquet").saveAsTable("db.table")