Contributor

Re: spark-shell 1.3 on CDH5.4 startup weirdness

I have the first error but not the second since I upgraded to 5.4 (the NullPointer on SQLContext)

Did you solve that too?

Highlighted
Explorer

sowen, thanks for your response.  When I go to the Spark UI and look at the classpath entries under the Environment tab everything there has "System Classpath" as its source.  I set JAVA_HOME in my ~/bash_profile but that's it for custimizations that I can think of.  Are there any logs that can show me more about what it's doing when starting the shell?  The console message don't tell me where it looks for configuration or these initial commands that it seems to be running and I can't identifiy anything like that in the web UI.

The basic problem seems to be that it can't find the HiveConf class.  Why would that be and how do I address it?

Contributor

it's strage because I have 2 CDH 5.4 clusters, in one I don't have the issue and in the other I have the Hive context issue except in the node where Hive is installed (the other are gateway nodes and still doesn't work ok).

That makes me think the issue is not so much about libraries but about configuration, I have seen a known issue about the hive configuration in the documention but I haven't been able to make the workaround work for me:

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cdh_rn_spark_ki.html

[ Edited ]

@TS "The spark.eventLog.dir parameter had to be reset to the proper value."

How to reset that parameter? Where to find it? Can you give the steps please?

New Contributor

Hi  @TS,

Can you please your solution?

Thank you.