Contributor

CDH spark job workflow failed with CDH5.5.0 Hue oozie or CDH oozie REST API

Dear Cloudera support,

We have a our spark job need to be run as a workflow in oozie in CDH 5.5.0. 

1.Now the spark job can be run successfully in submmit command line as below:

spark-submit --master spark://ip-10-0-4-248.us-west-1.compute.internal:7077 --class com.gridx.spark.MeterReadingLoader --name 'smud_test1' --driver-class-path /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/jars/guava-16.0.1.jar:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.5.0-1.cdh5.5.0.p0.8/jars/jets3t-0.9.0.jar  --conf spark.executor.extraClassPath=/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.5.0-1.cdh5.5.0.p0.8/jars/jets3t-0.9.0.jar ~/spark-all.jar -i s3n://meter-data/batch_data_phase1/smud_phase1_10.csv -k smud_stage -h 10.0.4.243 -t 60 -z America/Los_Angeles -l smud_test1 -g SMUD

2.However, when we use CDH oozie REST API or CDH Hue-OOzie in CDH to submit the same spark job with following REST API, it launched an oozie launcher job" oozie:launcher:T=spark:W=meter_reading_loader:A=spark-17c0:ID=0000027-160202081901924-oozie-oozi-W", and  be failed with  OOM and PermGen exception.

BTW, Our jar "spark-all.jar" has 88M size.

I also tried to enlarge the MaxPermGen  and memory, and also increazed memory for oozie launcher itself in workflow.xml as following, but still got no luck. I'm not sure whether I increase memory in the right way. The workflow xml for oozie is as following. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

<action name="spark-17c0">
        <spark xmlns="uri:oozie:spark-action:0.1">
            <job-tracker>${jobTracker}</job-tracker>
            <name-node>${nameNode}</name-node>
            <configuration>
                <property>
                        <name>oozie.launcher.mapreduce.map.memory.mb</name>
                        <value>6144</value> 
                </property>
            </configuration>
            <master>spark://ip-10-0-4-248.us-west-1.compute.internal:7077</master>
            <name>MeterReadingLoader</name>
              <class>com.gridx.spark.MeterReadingLoader</class>
            <jar>/user/root/workspaces/lib/spark-all.jar</jar>
              <spark-opts>--conf spark.driver.extraJavaOptions="-XX:MaxPermSize=10g" --conf spark.executor.extraJavaOptions="-XX:MaxPermSize=4g"  --driver-memory 8g  --executor-memory 2g --num-executors 3 --executor-cores 8 --driver-class-path /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/jars/guava-16.0.1.jar:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/jars/spark-assembly-1.5.0-cdh5.5.0-hadoop2.6.0-cdh5.5.0.jar:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.5.0-1.cdh5.5.0.p0.8/jars/jets3t-0.9.0.jar --conf spark.executor.extraClassPath=/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/jars/jets3t-0.9.0.jar</spark-opts>
              <arg>${i}</arg>
              <arg>${path}</arg>
              <arg>${k}</arg>
              <arg>${keyspace}</arg>
              <arg>${h}</arg>
              <arg>${cassandrahost}</arg>
              <arg>${t}</arg>
              <arg>${interval}</arg>
              <arg>${z}</arg>
              <arg>${timezone}</arg>
              <arg>${l}</arg>
              <arg>${listname}</arg>
              <arg>${g}</arg>
              <arg>${company}</arg>
        </spark>
        <ok to="End"/>
        <error to="Kill"/>
    </action>

We used following Oozie REST API to call the workflow:

curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/xml" -d @config.xml http://localhost:11000/oozie/v2/jobs?action=start

Can you help out? Thanks very much!

Kudos: 435
Solutions: 307

Re: CDH spark job workflow failed with CDH5.5.0 Hue oozie or CDH oozie REST API

Aside of oozie.launcher.mapreduce.map.memory.mb, please also set mapreduce.map.java.opts (to -Xmx5g). The former just expands the container memory request, but its the latter that grants that much more heap to the JVM.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: CDH spark job workflow failed with CDH5.5.0 Hue oozie or CDH oozie REST API

Thanks Harsh for your answer.