Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive2 Oozie Action Doesn't Consistently Connect

Explorer

Hi All,

I've been configuring an Oozie hive2 action that simply drops a pre-existing table. I'm running this command from an .hql file and scheduling it with oozie on Hue.

For no apparent reason this job will sometimes work, but will also sporadically throw an error (stderr logs below):

Unknown HS2 problem when communicating with Thrift server.
Error: Could not open client transport with JDBC Uri: jdbc:hive2://.... 

on port 10000 (state=08S01,code=0)

This ends with a system.exit(2) command. I've fiddled around with retry properties (max and interval) within the Hue workflow editor and this would appear to have an affect on my success rate, but the job still will not reliably work.

The relevant stdout logs are below:

<<< Invocation of Beeline command completed <<<

No child hadoop job is executed.
Intercepting System.exit(2)

<<< Invocation of Main class completed <<<

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.Hive2Main], exit code [2]

Oozie Launcher failed, finishing Hadoop job gracefully

I should mention that is is running on a Kerberos Cluster. CDH-5.13.1, Hive2, Sqoop Version 1.4.6.

Are there any hive parameters that could be preventing a consistent, realible connection?? I've also checked the yarn logs, but to no avail. Has anyone experienced this error before??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Explorer

I've since found the following:

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-13-x/topics/cdh_oozie_sqoop_jdbc.html

Which suggests loading the data to HDFS then creating a table with a hive2 action. This has since solved my problem and I have a working job. I appreciate your help!

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

Hi,

There are 2 options that you can do.

1. Sqoop import command with + hive import ( 1 step hive import)

2. Sqoop import to HDFS and create hive table on top of it.

Either of the above option will reach the desired results.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Nitish

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Explorer

When I try to run a single sqoop command with the hive table creation included in a single action I get the following error:

Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/u05/hadoop/yarn/nm/filecache/467/hive-exec.jar!/hive-log4j.properties
FAILED: SemanticException org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
Intercepting System.exit(1)

Expert Contributor

Hi,

The reason why it is failing with error when you are running the Sqoop command for table creation is because when Sqoop creates the table then it has to connect to Hive metastore but somehow it is not able to connect to it and causing you this error.

"

Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/u05/hadoop/yarn/nm/filecache/467/hive-exec.jar!/hive-log4j.properties
FAILED: SemanticException org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
Intercepting System.exit(1)"

Solution:-

########

As a solution you should pass the hive-site.xml file in Oozie sqoop action.

Link:- https://oozie.apache.org/docs/4.1.0/DG_SqoopActionExtension.html

Kindly pass the hive-site.xml path under <file> tage.

this path will be on HDFS and not local

NOTE:- Please note to pick up the client hive-site.xml file.

## cd /etc/hive/conf

## ls -ltr

Here you will see the hive-site.xml file.

Please try the above and let us know if this helps or nor.

Once this issue is resolved then we will go to the first one on which you started this Thread for Oozie hive2 connectivity error.

Regards

Nitish

Explorer

Thanks for the response. I've placed my hive-site.xml into the file properties of the sqoop oozie job as requested.

I made sure to download the client version. I'm still getting the following error message from stderr:

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SqoopMain], exit code [1]

My stdout logs are as follows:

<<< Invocation of Sqoop command completed <<<

Hadoop Job IDs executed by Sqoop: job_1541100802669_1684

<<< Invocation of Main class completed <<<

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SqoopMain], exit code [1]

Oozie Launcher failed, finishing Hadoop job gracefully

Oozie Launcher, uploading action data to HDFS sequence file:
Successfully reset security manager from org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.LauncherSecurityManager@65dbaa54 to null

Oozie Launcher ends

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Can you share your workflow.xml and job.properties file?

Also please share the out of the below path where you have placed the hive-site.xml file.

## hadoop fs -ls <path of hdfs where you have placed hive-site.xml>

Regards

Nitish

Explorer

<workflow-app name="Sqoop and Hive2 Test" xmlns="uri:oozie:workflow:0.5">
    <start to="sqoop-a3af"/>
    <action name="sqoop-a3af">
        <sqoop xmlns="uri:oozie:sqoop-action:0.2">
            <job-tracker>${jobTracker}</job-tracker>
            <name-node>${nameNode}</name-node>
            <command>import --m 1 --connect jdbc:mysql://host:port/navigator --username user --password-file /user/32230704/passwords --table HIVE_AUDIT_EVENTS_2018_10_29 --delete-target-dir --target-dir=/user/hive/warehouse/das_audit_navigator_db.db/HIVE_AUDIT_EVENTS_2018_10_29 --hive-import --hive-overwrite --hive-table das_audit_navigator_db.amore_audit_test</command>
            <file>/user/32230704/oozie-oozi/hive-site.xml#hive-site.xml</file>
        </sqoop>
        <ok to="End"/>
        <error to="Kill"/>
    </action>
    <kill name="Kill">
        <message>Action failed, error message[${wf:errorMessage(wf:lastErrorNode())}]</message>
    </kill>
    <end name="End"/>
</workflow-app>

oozie.use.system.libpath=True
send_email=False
dryrun=False
credentials={u'hcat': {'xml_name': u'hcat', 'properties': [('hcat.metastore.uri', u'thrift://host:port'), ('hcat.metastore.principal', u'hive/host@host')]}, u'hive2': {'xml_name': u'hive2', 'properties': [('hive2.jdbc.url', u'jdbc:hive2://host:port/default;ssl=true;sslTrustStore=/opt/cloudera/security_ca/jks/cloudera.truststore'), ('hive2.server.principal', u'hive/host@host')]}, u'hbase': {'xml_name': u'hbase', 'properties': []}}
nameNode=hdfs://name
submit_single_action=True
jobTracker=yarnRM
security_enabled=True

path to hive-site.xml

/user/32230704/oozie-oozi/hive-site.xml

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for an update.

The reason why it is failing is because you haven't passed the credentials for Hive Metastore which is required to make the connectivity to HMS. We have passed the hive-site.xml file which will have the address for your HMS backend but to make the connectivity to HMS it has to pass <credentials> tag so that Sqoop can take the delegation token for HMS that will be used further for connectivity.

Link:- https://oozie.apache.org/docs/4.2.0/DG_ActionAuthentication.html

I would request you to go through this link and add <credentials> the it has mentioned in the workflow and use that <credentials> into the action.

Once you add this then try your workflow again, it will run fine.

Regards

Nitish

Explorer

I add the file path to the parameter tab provided by hue at runtime. The job.xml does not reflect this change and gets overwritten each time I submit 

Capture.JPG

Explorer
<workflow-app name="Sqoop and Hive2 Test" xmlns="uri:oozie:workflow:0.5">
    <start to="sqoop-a3af"/>
    <kill name="Kill">
        <message>Action failed, error message[${wf:errorMessage(wf:lastErrorNode())}]</message>
    </kill>
    <action name="sqoop-a3af">
        <sqoop xmlns="uri:oozie:sqoop-action:0.2">
            <job-tracker>${jobTracker}</job-tracker>
            <name-node>${nameNode}</name-node>
            <command>import --m 1 --connect jdbc:mysql://host:name/navigator --username root --password-file /user/32230704/passwords --table HIVE_AUDIT_EVENTS_2018_10_29 --delete-target-dir --target-dir=/user/hive/warehouse/das_audit_navigator_db.db/HIVE_AUDIT_EVENTS_2018_10_29 --hive-import --hive-overwrite --hive-table das_audit_navigator_db.amore_audit_test</command>
            <file>/user/32230704/oozie-oozi/hive-site.xml#hive-site.xml</file>
        </sqoop>
        <ok to="End"/>
        <error to="Kill"/>
    </action>
    <end name="End"/>
</workflow-app>

Explorer

I'm still getting the same error.