Highlighted
New Contributor

How to run SparkSQL (that accesses Hive) jobs with Oozie?

I all,

in the last few days I coded SparkSQL (v 1.3.0) that accesses Hive tables.

On my CDH 5.4.7, when I run the job with the command line spark-submit the job runs perfectly.

But I need to run this job through Oozie 4.1, so I created an Oozie workflow with Hue. Here my spark action:

<action name="spark-339a">
        <spark xmlns="uri:oozie:spark-action:0.1">
            <job-tracker>${jobTracker}</job-tracker>
            <name-node>${nameNode}</name-node>
            <configuration>
                <property>
                    <name></name>
                    <value></value>
                </property>
            </configuration>
            <master>yarn-client</master>
            <mode>client</mode>
            <name>MySpark</name>
              <class>com.pinto.Application</class>
            <jar>/var/lib/hue/dwh-cloudera-etl.jar</jar>
              <arg></arg>
        </spark>
        <ok to="End"/>
        <error to="Kill"/>
    </action>

Now, running the Oozie workflow I have this error:

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SparkMain], main() threw exception, 
org/apache/hadoop/hive/conf/HiveConf java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/hive/conf/HiveConf

I've read a lot of posts with this issue with several suggested solutions. Apparently the better one suggests to set the following workflow variable:

oozie.action.sharelib.for.spark spark,hcatalog

but now, I have a new exception:

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SparkMain], main() threw exception, java.lang.RuntimeException: 
Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
  java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/antlr/runtime/RecognitionException at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

Can someone suggests me the best way to instrument the CLASSPATH with the missing Hive jars?

Thank you in advance!

Michele

Announcements