Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hue workflow error at LoadIncrementalHFiles: "IOException during splitting"

New Contributor

We're using Hue schedule workflows with Oozie. The workflow has a step to run a map reduce job which outputs HFiles, then another step to call LoadIncrementalHFiles as a shell action. The workflow runs fine for a while, until recently we started to see error as below. The error only occurs when there's a region split. If no region split happens, then it executes fine.

18/12/06 02:42:58 INFO mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles: HFile at hdfs://hdfs-hbaseprod/user/hbase/batch-output/f1/66022fd5b74c49cb8e6931e03ddc0625 no longer fits inside a single region. Splitting...
18/12/06 02:42:58 ERROR mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles: IOException during splitting
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=yarn, access=WRITE, inode="/user/hbase/batch-output/f1":hbase:supergroup:drwxr-xr-x
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.checkFsPermission(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:257)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.check(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:238)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.check(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:216)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.DefaultAuthorizationProvider.checkPermission(DefaultAuthorizationProvider.java:145)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:138)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkPermission(FSNamesystem.java:6286)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkPermission(FSNamesystem.java:6268)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkAncestorAccess(FSNamesystem.java:6220)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.mkdirsInternal(FSNamesystem.java:4087)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.mkdirsInt(FSNamesystem.java:4057)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.mkdirs(FSNamesystem.java:4030)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.mkdirs(NameNodeRpcServer.java:787)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.AuthorizationProviderProxyClientProtocol.mkdirs(AuthorizationProviderProxyClientProtocol.java:297)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.mkdirs(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:594)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:587)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:1026)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2013)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2009)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1642)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2007)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:188)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles.groupOrSplitPhase(LoadIncrementalHFiles.java:446)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles.doBulkLoad(LoadIncrementalHFiles.java:301)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles.run(LoadIncrementalHFiles.java:896)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:70)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles.main(LoadIncrementalHFiles.java:902)

The HDFS directory is owned by hbase user, which is the same user who logged in to Hue to configure the workflow. I'm able to execute the command manually:

sudo -u hbase hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles /user/hbase/batch-output/ 'sessiondb:threshold'

If I run the command manually as yarn, I could get the same errors as in the workflow:

sudo -u yarn hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.LoadIncrementalHFiles /user/hbase/batch-output/ 'sessiondb:threshold'

My questions:

1. Why would this be executed as yarn instead of the hbase (user who logged in to Hue)?

2. How do I fix it? I could try changing Yarn's configuration of System User from yarn to hbase. But I'm afraid of repercussions that other things may be affected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi,

It looks like you are having non kerberized cluster, Can you please confirm on this?

When you run a shell action via oozie in non kerberized cluster then the container gets launched with the yarn user and that is the reason why it is throwing permission error of yarn user not able to write it.

To overcome this error I would request you to add the below command in shell action and re run the job.

## export HADOOP_USER_NAME=hbase

Please set this above parameter in the shell script and what it will do is it will make the commands run by the name of hbase user and not yarn.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nitish

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Hi,

It looks like you are having non kerberized cluster, Can you please confirm on this?

When you run a shell action via oozie in non kerberized cluster then the container gets launched with the yarn user and that is the reason why it is throwing permission error of yarn user not able to write it.

To overcome this error I would request you to add the below command in shell action and re run the job.

## export HADOOP_USER_NAME=hbase

Please set this above parameter in the shell script and what it will do is it will make the commands run by the name of hbase user and not yarn.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nitish

New Contributor

Hi Nitish,

Yes we have a non kerberized cluster.

And your suggestion worked.

I wonder why we are starting to see this problem now -- meaning why the bulk load will fail to load some of the HFiles to a single region and cause a split. There's no other writes to this table except from the bulk load from the map reduce job output. As far as I know the map reduce job should output HFiles which fit within a single region. Is it because our regions are almost full, or we have a configuration mismatch somewhere? I could try running major compaction and see if that changes anything...

Thanks,

Michelle

Expert Contributor

Hi,

This error of permission is happening only when oozie is starting the shell action by the name of yarn user and not the hbase user.

Regards

Nitish