New Contributor

CDH6 installation - Failed to Validate Hive Metastore schema.

Hi,

I am trying to install CDH 6 (I think I chose "Essentials" services package with Hive) but the "Run a set of services for the first time" fails on "Validating the Hive Metastore schema". 

I installed MariaDB and created databases manually as stated in the documentation and here is the error I get:

++ '[' '!' -f /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.0-1.cdh6.0.0.p0.537114/lib/hive/lib/hive-cli-2.1.1-cdh6.0.0.jar ']'
++ false
++ exec /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.0-1.cdh6.0.0.p0.537114/lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop jar /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.0-1.cdh6.0.0.p0.537114/lib/hive/lib/hive-cli-2.1.1-cdh6.0.0.jar org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool -verbose -validate -dbType mysql
WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications.
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.0-1.cdh6.0.0.p0.537114/jars/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.8.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.0-1.cdh6.0.0.p0.537114/jars/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.25.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLoggerFactory]
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Failed to retrieve schema tables from Hive Metastore DB,Not supported
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Failed to retrieve schema tables from Hive Metastore DB,Not supported
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.validateSchemaTables(HiveSchemaTool.java:739)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.doValidate(HiveSchemaTool.java:590)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.main(HiveSchemaTool.java:1142)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:313)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:227)
*** schemaTool failed ***

Thanks for any help.

Cloudera Employee

Re: CDH6 installation - Failed to Validate Hive Metastore schema.

Please confirm what version of mysql-connector-java.jar are you using? Can you try to upgrade to latest version if not the latest yet?
New Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem with CDH 6 and the last version of mysql-connector-java-8.0.13.1.el7.

I change to previous version :mysql-connector-java-5.1.47 then reload installation: all fine.

Hope this help.

New Contributor

Hi ,

I am facing same situation i am using

[root@quickstart ~]# rpm -qa|grep mysql-connector-java
mysql-connector-java-5.1.25-3.el7.noarch

kindly guide me the steps to get rid of the below error in CDH 6.

++ shift
++ '[' -verbose == 'hive-cli-*.jar' ']'
++ '[' -verbose == 'hive-beeline-*.jar' ']'
++ '[' true == true ']'
++ JAR='hive-cli-*.jar'
++ '[' '!' -f /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.1-1.cdh6.0.1.p0.590678/lib/hive/lib/hive-cli-2.1.1-cdh6.0.1.jar ']'
++ false
++ exec /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.1-1.cdh6.0.1.p0.590678/lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop jar /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.1-1.cdh6.0.1.p0.590678/lib/hive/lib/hive-cli-2.1.1-cdh6.0.1.jar org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool -verbose -validate -dbType mysql
WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications.
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.1-1.cdh6.0.1.p0.590678/jars/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.8.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-6.0.1-1.cdh6.0.1.p0.590678/jars/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.25.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLoggerFactory]
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.validateSchemaTables(HiveSchemaTool.java:739)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.doValidate(HiveSchemaTool.java:590)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.main(HiveSchemaTool.java:1142)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:313)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:227)
*** schemaTool failed ***

if you are mentioning that "mysql-connector-java-5.1.47" will resolve the issue.kindly provide the RPM link for the same. or if need to install the tar.gz file kindly guide steps to do it on CentOS 7.6

Regards

Nitesh

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

You will find all your needs at this link:

topic: https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_mysql.html#cmig_topic_5...

Hope this help you !

New Contributor

Hi Alex , Many many thanks for the Quick Reply. i followed below steps [root@quickstart ~]# mkdir -p /usr/share/java/ [root@quickstart ~]# systemctl stop mysqld [root@quickstart ~]# yum remove mysql-connector-java-5.1.25-3.el7.noarch [root@quickstart ~]# cd mysql-connector-java-5.1.46 [root@quickstart mysql-connector-java-5.1.46]# ls build.xml CHANGES COPYING mysql-connector-java-5.1.46-bin.jar mysql-connector-java-5.1.46.jar README README.txt src [root@quickstart mysql-connector-java-5.1.46]# cp mysql-connector-java-5.1.46-bin.jar /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar [root@quickstart mysql-connector-java-5.1.46]# systemctl start mysqld Then start the cluster. Regards Nitesh
Cloudera Employee

I also just ran into this issue.

The way I solved it was to install the latest MySQL JDBC Driver as described here:

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_mysql.html#cmig_topic_5_5_3

This action must be performed on the node(s) with the Hive Metastore role installed.