Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive JDBC connection on AWS

Contributor

Hi, 

I have set up a four node CDH cluster using the following instructions(http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/03/how-to-create-a-cdh-cluster-on-amazon-ec2-via-cloudera-manager...   Everything seems to be up and running, but I having difficulty connecting to the cluster's hive instance using JDBC.    I have verified the following

• Hive is up and running
  • Port 10000 has been added to my security group

I am trying to connect to hive from another AWS instance using the public interface(I am running Jaspersoft on this instance).

Here is my connection string(ip specifics Xed out): jdbc:hive://ec2-xx-xx-x-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com:10000/default

When I try to use this I am getting a connection refused message on the client side, and I am not seeing anything help in any of the server side messages.   

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

In case anyone else runs into this issue.  The problem was that the Thrift server wasn't running.   Once we started that on our target system(hive --service hiveserver )    We were able to connect via JDBC.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Contributor

In case anyone else runs into this issue.  The problem was that the Thrift server wasn't running.   Once we started that on our target system(hive --service hiveserver )    We were able to connect via JDBC.

Guru

@anisbet Thanks for closing the loop on this thread with us!