Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Queries are not executing. Showing Exceptions in CLI

Expert Contributor

Hi,

while using Hive CLI, Even for show databases query, I am getting Exception "Failed with exception java.io.IOException:java.lang.RuntimeException: Error in configuring object
Time taken: 0.05 seconds" , Recently we upgraded from CDH 5.1.2 to CDH 5.4.1. But it was working fine for somedays after upgradation. 

And we cant find any errors in Log, The services are running good. We are using Mysql DB as metastore db,it is working fine. I tried re-installing the service also,

again the same error continues.

Any help will be appriciated.

Thanks,

Sathish,

Thanks,
Sathish (Satz)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

The issue is with the compression codec which we was using in 5.1.2. Later we disabled GPL Extras and forgot to change the compression codec to default. This caused the issue and it has been fixed by changing the compression codec to default.

Thanks

Thanks,
Sathish (Satz)

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

Hi  Jervis,

I actually removed the LZO compression codec from the list of compression codecs available, and made the compression codec as default one. After service restart everything started working as normal.

Thanks,

Sathish

Thanks,
Sathish (Satz)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

The issue is with the compression codec which we was using in 5.1.2. Later we disabled GPL Extras and forgot to change the compression codec to default. This caused the issue and it has been fixed by changing the compression codec to default.

Thanks

Thanks,
Sathish (Satz)

Community Manager

Double checking, did the change to default compression fully resolve your issue? If so, it would be great if you could mark your last comment as the solution so it may help others who face a similar issue in the future. Thanks!

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Expert Contributor

Hi  Jervis,

I actually removed the LZO compression codec from the list of compression codecs available, and made the compression codec as default one. After service restart everything started working as normal.

Thanks,

Sathish

Thanks,
Sathish (Satz)

Community Manager
Great! Thank you for sharing.

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer

I received a similar error, but for the LzopCodec (not LzoCodec) not being found.  In this case, I actually wanted to use the LzoCodec as my default compression codec (for legacy reasons...).

In order to get Hive working with Lzo on CDH 5.14.x, I did the following:

1)

# Add GPLEXTRAS parcel to CM and distribute to all nodes:
https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-14-x/topics/cm_ig_install_gpl_extras.html

2)

# Configure HDFS to use it:
http://www.roggr.com/2014/06/enabling-lzo-compression-for-hive-to.html
ClouderaManager -> Hive -> Configuration -> Service-wide -> Advanced  -> Hive Auxiliary JARs Directory : /opt/cloudera/parcels/GPLEXTRAS/lib/hadoop/lib

# Verify it works by invoking 'show tables' in hive with debug-logging enabled.  There should not be any errors.  The error condition if not working complains about LzopCode (not LzoCodec) not found.
hive --hiveconf hive.root.logger=DEBUG,console

3)

# Configure HDFS
ClouderaManager -> HDFS -> Configuration -> Service-wide -> Compression Codes (io.compression.codecs):

+ com.hadoop.compression.lzo.LzoCodec
+ com.hadoop.compression.lzo.LzopCodec

4)

# Configure YARN/MR2
# http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/07/one-engineers-experience-with-parcel/

ClouderaManager -> YARN/MR2 -> Configuration -> SearchFor: compress ->

mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat.compress: checked
mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat.compress.codec: com.hadoop.compression.lzo.LzoCodec
mapreduce.map.output.compress: checked
mapreduce.map.output.compress.codec: com.hadoop.compression.lzo.LzoCodec