Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Labels (1)
Expert Contributor

Symptoms

When attempting to create a Cloudera Altus cluster in AWS, it fails with INTERNAL_CM_CMD_FAIL

Diagnosis

• CM Deployment is failing at the creation / deployment of CM services due to incorrect or unexpected DNS hostnames of the AWS EC2 instances created for Cloudera Altus.
  • Cloudera Altus requires the options DNS hostnames and DNS resolution are enabled (set to yes) within the AWS VPC settings

Solution

1. Set and confirm DNS hostnames and DNS resolution are set to yes in the AWS VPC used for Cloudera Altus.
    Details for configuring AWS VPCs with DNS is available here:
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/vpc-dns.html
  2. Once the AWS VPC DNS settings of the Cloudera Altus Environment are enabled, ensure to delete the previous cluster creation attempt's EC2 instances, both within a Cloudera Altus console, as well as through the AWS EC2 interface
  3. Retry creating a new Cloudera Altus cluster with the updated settings
Comments
New Contributor

Hello Anthony,

I face the same issue but I am trying to create a cluster on Azure. 

What is the corresponding for Azure solution?

Thanks and best regards,

kostasm

Cloudera Employee

Hi @kostasm,

Please check and confirm you have created the VNET and DNS server with the Altus ARM template for your Altus environment. If so please also check in Azure portal to make sure the DNS server VM created by the Altus ARM template is up and running.

Thanks,

Tony

New Contributor

Hi Tony,

I have provisioned the "Cloudera Altus Service Image 5.14" from Azure portal. All the default services are running (e.g VNET, NSG, DNS). The DNS is inherited from virtual network.

Thanks,

Kostas

Expert Contributor

Hi Kostas,

As a follow up from my colleague's post, were you able to create a cluster on Azure successfully? 

New Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Yes, using the ARM template provided in the link I was able to create the cluster.

Thanks,

Kostas

Expert Contributor
Glad to hear, have a wonderful day!
Version history
Last update:
‎09-16-2022 08:39 AM
Updated by:
Contributors