New Contributor

fastest/easiest way to run cdsw?

[ Edited ]

Hello, tl;dr:

What is the fastest/recommended way to run CDSW for testing purposes? There's any open online instance to test it?

long post below with a list of what I tried:

1) via the quickstart Docker image (cloudera/quickstart). Had a bad experience since isn't documented anywhere which version to use and, unfortunatelly, looks like first I downloaded a wrong version that do not support CDSW. After managed to download a version that supposedly supports CDSW, I get noticed that it didn't come with CDSW (???), so I have to install it by hand. First I tried via a rpm package, but does not work because some of the dependencies are not available for CentOS (maybe only for RedHatEnterprise) and, unfortunatelly, the docker image was built using CentOS (the Dockerfile isn't available for me to chance the OS). Then, I tried using cloudera manager interface, following the documentation. At the end, the CDSW does not show as a service for me to add, even following all the steps, so I gave up this method.

2) downloading a KVM image (quickstart). Again, CDSW not installed, so I added the rpm repo and tried to install the rpm package. Again, the packages (such as glibc and systemd-utils) are not available in the virtual machine's OS, then again I tried to install cdsw via cloudera manager. Again, the CDSW does not show in services list (and yes, I restarted all the services as suggested and certified that the CDSW jar is in the correct directory).

3) filled  here ("See how it works") to be mailed with a demo version or something similar (didn't received any email, though)

4) looked everywhere about a open cloud instance to test it, didn't find anything, though 

Kudos: 115
Solutions: 61

Re: fastest/easiest way to run cdsw?

While I'm not technical enough to assist with the other issues, I think I can help with one item. I emailed my contacts about the demo request you submitted. It may just be an end of the year slow down affecting the request but I figure an extra nudge wouldn't hurt. :)

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

New Contributor

Hi, thank you for the reply!

I don't think that it is related with being end of the year - I filled the form 3 or 4 times during november and december. To be fair I just think that it is not working haha

OH! That's not good.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll pass that along as well. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

New Contributor

So, can you guys give me any feedback on this? There's a place to request a feature that includes a working CDSW on any quick-start vm? Or could you guys share the Dockerfile or anything? Or confirm if the RPM package is working in the distribution version used by the available quickstart vm?

Thank you

Thank you for following up. Someone from Cloudera who would be able to assist was going to contact you. Has anyone done so yet? 

If not, I suggest checking your email spam folder just in case. :)

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for the follow up. Yes, someone from Cloudera contacted me 5 days ago but just to ask if this question was solved/I found a solution; not the case, though.
New Contributor

well... any news on this? ;)

Sorry about the oversight on your earlier reply. I am checking on this.

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum