Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudera Director should support password validation in MySQL 5.7.x or disable it with admin user

Expert Contributor

MySQL 5.7 is listed as supported DB version. However, Cloudera Director generates passwords not suitable for 5.7 standard. Application log is shown as follows:

[2017-01-24 22:46:13] INFO [io-thread-38] - ssh:10.3.1.154: [ main] DbProvisioner ERROR Stack Trace:
[2017-01-24 22:46:13] INFO [io-thread-38] - ssh:10.3.1.154: java.sql.SQLException: Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements
[2017-01-24 22:46:13] INFO [io-thread-38] - ssh:10.3.1.154: at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:1078)[mysql-connec
tor-java.jar:]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hello zhuw.bigdata,

This is a known issue with Director's automated generation of passwords for MySQL databases. There is a fix for it included with Director 2.3, which is due to be released soon. In the meantime, you can try adjusting the password validation level in MySQL 5.7 to LOW, instead of the default MEDIUM, and Director's passwords should be accepted.

Director uses ordinary random UUIDs as passwords, and they fail the MEDIUM level of MySQL password validation because they lack an uppercase letter (and may, in very rare cases, lack either a lowercase letter or a number).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Collaborator

Hello zhuw.bigdata,

This is a known issue with Director's automated generation of passwords for MySQL databases. There is a fix for it included with Director 2.3, which is due to be released soon. In the meantime, you can try adjusting the password validation level in MySQL 5.7 to LOW, instead of the default MEDIUM, and Director's passwords should be accepted.

Director uses ordinary random UUIDs as passwords, and they fail the MEDIUM level of MySQL password validation because they lack an uppercase letter (and may, in very rare cases, lack either a lowercase letter or a number).

Expert Contributor
Thanks. As a workaround, I just disable password validation via ansible script right after mysql initial installation.

Explorer

# cp /etc/my.cnf /etc/my.cnf.default
# vim /etc/my.cnf
--------------------------------
[mysqld]
# Disable password validaion plugin
validate-password=off
--------------------------------
# systemctl restart mysqld