Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hostnames of node instances

Contributor

Hi,

I created a deployment and a cluster using Director. After the EC2 instances were running and cluster was all set up, I changed the hostname of the instances. Now, I want to update the hostnames in the Manager,  (and also the Manager's hostname in Director) because they point to the old ones (ip-xxxxx.eu-west-1.compute.internal) Is there a way to do that? I found https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-7-x/topics/cm_ag_change_hostnames.html, but I hope there is an easier solution to that. Is it possible to tell Director/Manager to use a specific hostnames when creating the cluster? Or do I need to run a script and change the hostnames before Director starts to install the services on the nodes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Director uses the IP address and hostnames reported back by the cloud provider (e.g., AWS) to connect to the instance. If Director is inside the same VPC as the instance, this will be the internal IP address or private hostname. If Director is outside the VPC, then this will be the public IP or public hostname.

Since these values come from the cloud provider, it is best for them to be set as you like when the instance is allocated. Some possible suggestions for doing so are to use a custom DNS server or to bake some hostname assignment logic into your AMI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Champion
That links contains the proper instructions. Effectively, the hostnames you installed CDH with (CM agent and up) will be what is used for CM (and most likely director). Any change after that will require these steps.

Expert Contributor

Director uses the IP address and hostnames reported back by the cloud provider (e.g., AWS) to connect to the instance. If Director is inside the same VPC as the instance, this will be the internal IP address or private hostname. If Director is outside the VPC, then this will be the public IP or public hostname.

Since these values come from the cloud provider, it is best for them to be set as you like when the instance is allocated. Some possible suggestions for doing so are to use a custom DNS server or to bake some hostname assignment logic into your AMI.

Contributor

Thanks for the answers. The described steps solve the DNS change for Manager indeed. For director, I will use a pre-baked Manager AMI as suggested.