New Contributor

Spark Exception: ConsumerRecord Not Serializable

[ Edited ]

hi 

I am trying to write the kafka message to a file. 

So I have added  output section to the traffic window as below in the traffic.conf

trafficwindow {
        dependencies = [traffic]
        deriver {
            type = sql
            query.literal = """
                SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP() * 1000 as_of_time, ROUND(AVG(number_of_vehicles), 2) avg_num_veh,
                MIN(number_of_vehicles) min_num_veh, MAX(number_of_vehicles) max_num_veh,
                MIN(measurement_time) first_meas_time, MAX(measurement_time) last_meas_time FROM traffic"""
        }
		planner = {
		  type = overwrite
		}
		output = {
		  type = filesystem
		  // The output directory
		  path = "c:\\temp"
		  format = parquet
		}
    }

When i run the traffic example i am getting the error below.  

java.io.NotSerializableException: org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.ConsumerRecord
Serialization stack:
- object not serializable (class: org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.ConsumerRecord, value: ConsumerRecord(topic = traffic, partition = 0, offset
2022, CreateTime = 1550606083979, checksum = 3592114955, serialized key size = -1, serialized value size = 16, key = null, value = 1550606083979,23))
at org.apache.spark.serializer.SerializationDebugger$.improveException(SerializationDebugger.scala:40)
at org.apache.spark.serializer.JavaSerializationStream.writeObject(JavaSerializer.scala:46)
at org.apache.spark.storage.memory.MemoryStore.putIteratorAsBytes(MemoryStore.scala:364)
at org.apache.spark.storage.BlockManager$$anonfun$doPutIterator$1.apply(BlockManager.scala:1021)
at org.apache.spark.storage.BlockManager$$anonfun$doPutIterator$1.apply(BlockManager.scala:996)

Is this something not supported as of now? Or I am addig output in wrong place.

Cloudera Employee

Re: Spark Exception: ConsumerRecord Not Serializable

Hi Shrini,

Apologies, I had tried to reply to your last post on the other thread but it seems like it never actually posted. My response was:

I am not sure why you are getting that error message. It may be difficult for me to be able to assist on this one if you are not running Envelope on a Cloudera cluster, or if you are making modifications to the Envelope code, because it won't be practical for me to replicate the error.

Are you intending to use Envelope on a Cloudera cluster? If so then you might want to start from there now rather than trying to run Envelope on Windows with your own Spark and Kafka versions.

Jeremy
Announcements

Currently incubating in Cloudera Labs:

Envelope
HTrace
Ibis
Impyla
Livy
Oryx
Phoenix
Spark Runner for Beam SDK
Time Series for Spark